Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ground bracket 67 GTO or Lemans.

This is the bracket that is on the back of all 67 Pontiac A body car gauges. It is the same bracket regardless of if the car has standard gauges or rally gauges. (This bracket is a one year old part. ) It serves 2 purposes, one it's a support bracket for the center of the dash bezel and 2 it is the ONLY ground from the gauges to the body of the car.

As far as this problem goes; & in light of the last several posts I am now leaning towards a bad ground or grounds in one of the tail lamp sockets. The current then back-feeds thru the bright filament in one of those #1157 bulbs then into the wiring harness and then into the dash filament of your turn signal arrow bulbs which both share a common ground. Those tail lamp plastic sockets have a spring tension ground tab on the sides of them where they plug into the tail-lamp housing. The tail lamp housings on a 67 GTO are cast potmetal attached and grounded to the body of the car at the rear body panel. The spring effect of those ground tabs gets weak over time and you loose your ground to the bulb socket. Over the years 1967 GTO tail lamp lenses can trap & hold water and the ground tab on the lamp socket(s) will rust and break into 2 pieces from moisture condensation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 GTO Rally Gauges rear view Ground & Bracket.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	529072   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 bracket Rally Gauge Housing.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	529073   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Rear Bracket Main Housing.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	529074   Click image for larger version

Name:	67RallyGaugesetBracket.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	529075  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 01-18-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added some more info.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Front parking lights going OFF with headlights ON is factory. Turn indicators ON with headlights ON (no front parking lights) pretty much rules out a feed back problem caused by a bad ground up front.

This would have me in the back looking for a problem. Bad ground would be first on the list then bogus sockets or bulb/s not grounding good in the socket/s.

Rear bulbs will light up with a bad ground. Current gets divided up through other bulb filaments. Lower watt bulbs, like turn indicators, can light up from this power hunting ground.

Clay
Yep, I regress. I have had my park lights up front hooked up as DRL's for so long, I forgot what normal was!

Rear lamp grounds are very suspect.

Charles

Old 01-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default turn signals

Did you try changing the flasher? They have been known to cause a multitude of problems.High beam switch or wires.Check ground to trunk lock support.Was there alot of things in the trunk?Wires get beat up in trunks,front sig lights look for places that could have been disturbed.Good luck,been there.
Tim

Old 01-19-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Must Admit I got caught on this as well. Yes back lights are suspects. Bad Me.

Quote:
Front parking lights going OFF with headlights ON is factory. Turn indicators ON with headlights ON (no front parking lights) pretty much rules out a feed back problem caused by a bad ground up front.

This would have me in the back looking for a problem. Bad ground would be first on the list then bogus sockets or bulb/s not grounding good in the socket/s.

Rear bulbs will light up with a bad ground. Current gets divided up through other bulb filaments. Lower watt bulbs, like turn indicators, can light up from this power hunting ground.

Clay

Old 01-20-2020, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Pretty much is not a 100% gurantee. Especially if front turn/park and headlights share a common ground wire or ground point. Could be feedback from two different sources in that case causing turn indicators to light up.

Need update from OP
Clay

Old 03-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Was this problem ever solved? I’m interested in what the cause was.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:02 AM

No im pulling the seat now.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Ok I pulled the seat (found 2 black wires going into 1 male spud connector) up behind the ashtray!! Can not find ware it plugs in!! So I measured voltage No volts!! I then put a ground jumper on it. Turned on parking lights Both blinker lights stayed OFF and operated as should. YAY YAY (OK ware does it plug in) HELP

Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Was this problem ever solved? I’m interested in what the cause was.
Ok I pulled the seat! crawled under dash( Found 2 black wires both connected into 1 male spade up behind ash tray ! Can not find ware it plugs in. Measured no voltage on male spaide. No Voltage. Put a jump wire on it and went to ground !! Turned on parking lights Walla turning lights did not come on and worked like they should !!! Ok Does Anybody Know Ware the Male Spud Plugs In ?? Its up behind the ash tray.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Need help please look at my new post!

Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you post a photo of the end of that black wire it would help people to help you.

This could be a modification from a prior owner, with out a photo to go by people can only guess.

It could be the factory wire were someone has removed the dash years before & not put things back where they were to start with.

(I see this all the time.)

Old 05-11-2020, 02:50 PM

Thanks Peter for the reply. I will try to post a pic of the spade. It is brown plastic spade with 2 black wires going in it. Its up behind the Ashtray. Note dash has never been removed, factory wiring, no modifications, I know this because I bought it from a Pontiac dealer when it was 3yrs old.