Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Viton rear main oil seal, 1 pcs, 3.25"

I am installing the Viton 1 pcs 3.25" oil seal. I followed the directions to the letter. To you who have installed this seal do you remember how much of the seal OD you had to remove?

My calculations tells me I need to remove .037" from the seal OD. Does this sound about right?

I measured the oil seal OD and block & cap seal groove ID. This gave me a difference of .037" I am just looking for another opinion to see if I am on track.

I already meet the .020" spec for seal ID and crank seal surface OD.

Thanks, bt

Old 06-02-2020, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've installed about two dozen one-piece seals and only a couple had to have the mating edge of the seal reduced, and the remainder of the seals went in as-is. There is a necessary amount of compression between seal and groove that takes place and you don't want the fit too loose. Basically I install the seal without the crank and watch the shape of the seal as I tighten down the bolts. The inner lip should remain round without any waves, and if it does, then the fit is satisfactory. If I do get a wave, then I shorten one side of the mating lips to take out some tension until the inner ID is round. Never heard of removing any of the surface of the O.D. of the seal. I bet that I haven't removed over .015" off one end of the tightest one to make it fit properly.

Your .037" seems off, and I would drop the seal in place and give it a test fit.

One thing I have learned with the one-piece is that beveling and smoothing the edges of the grove parting lines allows the seal to slide in without hanging up. Doesn't take much at all but leaving a knife edge on the groove parting edge will catch and pinch up the seal.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Default One Piece Viton Rear Main Seal, 3.25

I didn't have to reduce the entire circumference but, since my block was align bored and honed the seal was not centered so had to grind on one side (block) side of seal. (Believe instructions talk about this.) Anyway I called Wade Codington (owner of BOP) and he walked my son (who is a machinist) through this on how to measure and remove material to get centered. My son was only available in evenings so Wade called us on way to daughters volley ball game and guided us. How's that for customer service? Do not hesitate to call him. (He's actually on a post on today in the "Todays Posts" section looking for a rear end.) Wound up with totally leak free seal.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Sorry misspelled. Congdon not Codington.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your .037 would be cut in half for an od so .010 Is about what I took off mine for the od. There was some variance in the od so need to pay attention to that also. So far after the 2 piece viton and graphite rope seal this is the only one that's sealed up my engine.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

I ended up sanding down to the metal ring on the Viton rms. Here are the photos I sent to Wade for review and he said all looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crank seal surface 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	543644   Click image for larger version

Name:	crank seal surface 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	543645   Click image for larger version

Name:	crank seal surface 3.jpg
Views:	141