Old 03-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need SEM interior paint color for 1970 GTO in 253 (Brown)

Getting ready to freshen up some interior pieces (seat backs/bases, kick panels, armrest bases, etc) and want to make sure I buy the right SEM color to match.

Interior color code is 253 (Brown) for a 1970 GTO. I've had a bunch of issues with finding the right interior color matches for seats/windlace/headliner, so thought I would check with the experts on the forum.

I'm thinking that SEM Color Coat Cordova Brown (#15023) is correct...can anyone confirm or point me in the right direction?

Also...what is the best adhesion promotor? I've used Bulldog in the past with good results, but curious what is the latest/greatest.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-18-2020, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to get my product from TCP Global in California. I called SEM direct and they couldn't go back to '68 with their codes but TCP pulled it right up. I ordered it pre-mixed in the quart can but I think they can do the same for you in a rattle can.
I'd go that route using the factory interior code rather than taking one of their 'off the shelf' colors.
I used the Duplicolor adhesion promoter found at Auto Zone.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I had to get my product from TCP Global in California. I called SEM direct and they couldn't go back to '68 with their codes but TCP pulled it right up.
Thanks for the info. Same here...SEM couldn't tell me the product #/formula, however TCP Global did. Only problem is they couldn't mix Color Coat. So...spoke to the SEM east coast rep. and she hooked me up with Vinyl Pro out of Georgia.

Vinyl Pro is awesome and can mix the SEM discontinued color I need and put in rattle cans. No minimum order. Shipped the same day I spoke with their mixing tech. Highly recommended.

For those who may be in the same position for a 1970 GTO with interior color code = 253, the SEM formula is #6429 (dark brown).

Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting that they couldn't mix that color but no problem with mine. Good info on the Georgia outfit. Definitely would have gone that way seeing that they are local.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah...I thought the same thing. Very odd. They said it used one toner that they don't have/use and couldn't put in rattle cans. I would've dealt with that if necessary, but found Vinyl Pro and all is good.

$30 a can wasn't cheap though.