Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little over 330 for a front bench and rear seats. I supplied covers and front foam. It did require some custom narrowing in the back too.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

That does seem high to me. I took my 06 F250 to have Katzkin leather covers put on my truck and was quoted $2,300.00 for the Katzkin covers & installation. I thought that was too high. I bought the Katzkin covers off eBay for $800.00 including shipping. I bought the drivers seat bottom foam for another $125.00, 2 pairs of Hog Ring pliers - I only used the straight pair, never use the offset pair and bought 200 stainless hog rings off eBay for about $10.00 if I remember correctly. I also had to repair 1 spring on the drivers seat and weld up a crack in the seat frame. It did take me a couple of weeks to get the job done BUT I cleaned the seat tracks & mounts & painted them where needed. I removed ALL the seat belts Scrubbed them, removed the carpet & shampooed it. A super deep cleaning of the interior which the upholstery shop wouldn't do. Check out some YouTube videos I'm sure there will be plenty of useful vids of how to upholster your seats if you have an upholstery kit.

I've NEVER done upholstery before and I was surprised how easy it was BUT I did check out several vids on YouTube before I got started. I'm now going to do my friends front seat on his F-150 since I did mine.

I did reupholster my seats in the summer when it was triple digits so the covers were very soft and supple. I actually enjoyed the job and am looking forward to doing my friends seat. I wish we were closer, once you see how easy it is I know you would be interested in completing the job yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Seats 003.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	534809   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Seats 002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	534810   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Seats 009.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	534811   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Seats 010.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	534812   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Seats 016.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	534813  

Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default location

im looking for a local guy were you happy with the job who did it

4dblnkldude

Old 03-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had mine done (65 Lemans) this past summer - $800 for fronts and rears. Recovering those seats in that 06 Super Duty is NOTHING in comparison to doing the seats in the old cars with the hog rings and such. 64-65 seats are particularly difficult due to the hog ringed seam up the sides of the of the uppers. Had alot of those truck seats apart at work over the years.... airbags made them more fun.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:59 AM
Senior Chief

Cardo,
Thanks for the heads up on seats. No wonder the Super Duty seats seemed almost fun to do. I guess that was an easy one to learn on.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

30 hrs to do three seats seems outrageous for a pro. That is about 10hrs per seat. Like others, after a couple of utube vids I did the back seat, 2 bottoms and the back and I am sure I didn't have 10 hrs. Put into real time, that is all day of work plus 2 hrs the next day to put a cover on 1 seat. I dont know about y'all, but I can get a lot of work done in a 10 hr stretch doing a job I specialize in. I know I got a bargain with mine, but the guy that did my fronts was retired from Chrysler where he worked in the upholstery shop. I have known him since I was a kid and didn't even know he was still doing this stuff. I dropped them off on a Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon they were finished. I would imagine it took him less than a couple of hours for each seat. At $600 - $800 someone would make decent money doing this job, it sounds to me like the charge was according to how much the shop needed to make that week. I wish I could charge my customers the amount I need vs. the amount to do the job but I wouldn't get paid and probably wouldn't get anymore business.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Senior Chief

hi guys,
Picked up the seats today...… They are excellent!
Had him explain why so much labor costs.
The bucket seat covers I got (PUI) didn't fit right. He had to modify the cloth strips that secure the covers to the springs. They are one size fits all.
He also had to replace 6 broken springs and resecure a couple.
He also polished all the chrome trim.
He also had trouble with the seat foam backs. They didn't fit right and it made the seats look like ****. Also, they were too big. He couldn't close the gaps tight enough for the side trim to sit right. I had to buy new foams also.
Bottom line is, I tried to save a few bucks using PUI stuff from OPGI.
He highly recommends using the legendary stuff. He says it fits like a glove.
Also, he suggested using the American cushion stuff.
Legendary stocks this brand of foams
He said normally, doing a job like this would be in the $700-$1200 range
Lesson learned

Old 03-21-2020, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear that you’re happy with the seats. Yea - sometimes, nothing is more expensive than going the cheaper route.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff chmura View Post
hi guys,
Picked up the seats today...… They are excellent!
Had him explain why so much labor costs.
The bucket seat covers I got (PUI) didn't fit right. He had to modify the cloth strips that secure the covers to the springs. They are one size fits all.
He also had to replace 6 broken springs and resecure a couple.
He also polished all the chrome trim.
He also had trouble with the seat foam backs. They didn't fit right and it made the seats look like ****. Also, they were too big. He couldn't close the gaps tight enough for the side trim to sit right. I had to buy new foams also.
Bottom line is, I tried to save a few bucks using PUI stuff from OPGI.
He highly recommends using the legendary stuff. He says it fits like a glove.
Also, he suggested using the American cushion stuff.
Legendary stocks this brand of foams
He said normally, doing a job like this would be in the $700-$1200 range
Lesson learned

Sure would have been nice of him to tell you this up front (hell a simple search on this site would have warned you away from PUI) - would have saved you $, but not really in his best interest profit-wise. Sounds like some BS excuses otherwise, but to be expected when trying to justify this insane time/cost.

Hopefully these are “premium” pui seats and not the cheap flat embossed versions, or you will likely want to recover them with legendary anyway.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

I did the search about covers...…….. its always a mixed review. I really should of spoke with my guy 1st about what he says is the best....same with the seat foams.
what happened with them is he went to install the ones I supplied and realized the issues.
He suggested the American cushion ones (P/N 62-65) I researched them and found out that Legendary uses them.
He told showed me the side springs that were damaged while I was there to drop them off, so I knew about those being bad, also needed some other stuff (bumpers ,stop plates etc) so I ordered from our host and drop shipped
the main reason for the extra labor was the foams...he tried to use what I gave him, but had to remove them and endened up ordering the set from American cushion/legendary
so like I said lesson learned...… for our cars, use the Legendary stuff

Old 03-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

id be interested in the guys name as im looking for someone to install the legendary set i bought and i need to have a front bench made as well with the extra i got from legendary

Old 03-22-2020, 04:16 PM
Senior Chief

imposter,
Fleetwood Automotive
245 matachaponix ave
Monroe Township NJ 08831
(732) 521 2287
Phil Tuyly
he's a one man operation and been in business at least 30 years

Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
Sure would have been nice of him to tell you this up front (hell a simple search on this site would have warned you away from PUI) - would have saved you $, but not really in his best interest profit-wise. Sounds like some BS excuses otherwise, but to be expected when trying to justify this insane time/cost.

Hopefully these are “premium” pui seats and not the cheap flat embossed versions, or you will likely want to recover them with legendary anyway.
Glad you are happy with them, but I have to agree with this statement. I talked to an upholstery guy when I was getting ready to my int. He asked what car I was working on and when I said Pontiac he told me to use Legendary and not pui, said the pui wasn't that good, but he did say that if it was a Mopar that pui was the brand to use. His experience.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default interior

do it yourself its not that hard, and use the money you going to pay the interior people on parts you really need.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:32 PM

I'd expect 1200 or less to do your job would be fair.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Really Guys !!Its not that hard to rebuild your seats, the first one is a stinker all the rest easy comparatively ,get your self a couple of different angle hog ring pliers, the hardest is smoothing out the uplostery,not that bad guys probably took me 3 hours on the first bucket and no more than 5 hours on the other bucket and the rear seat ,total cost in labor $0

Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JerseyBoy
Default Recovering cost

I just got my '68 firebird back from the interior shop, I also supplied all the parts and had not only the front seats recovered but the headliner installed, the rear seat recovered (rear seat is a fold down) and carpet installed: total bill $2,500. Work was excellent!

Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

600-800 including the legendary covers /per seat and maybe if materials are needed, his own foam etc. up here in canada

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 04-08-2020, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

Pics of my seats...... Didn't do the door panels yet, still have to get the glass aligned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0518.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	536694   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0517.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	536695   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0516.JPG
Views:	216