Old 05-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can't get passenger side tail/turn to work

I'm fighting a stubborn gremlin on my 81 T/A.

The right turn signal is refusing to work. Currently the front signal lights up bright, but fails to blink.

The rear tail doesn't light up at all. The running lights work on the passenger side, but I'm not getting turn or tail. I checked for power at the socket, and I get nothing for the stop/turns. The brake lights work only on the driver side.

On the front, if I have the running lights on and I remove the bulb from the passenger side, the side marker gets dim, which would make me think it's a grounding issue, but I've cleaned and checked both grounds on the radiator support and the one in the trunk.

Other than this issue, all the lights work. I'm just getting no left signal and no tail light on the passenger side. All running lights work, low and high beams work as well.

Am I missing something? It's driving me crazy.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

clean up and make sure the grounds are nice....
maybe

Old 05-10-2020, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May be problem with turn signal unit in steering column??

Old 05-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right front turn wont blink with right rear not working. The flasher doesn't have enough current going through it to heat up and click off and on.

Right front side marker is working as expected when you take front bulb out. Front side markers are wired so that they bright and dim when turnsignal is on. Running light hot to front side markers is just that. Front side marker ground goes to turnsignal wires.....Don't sound right but it works.

Right rear turn/stop is a single green wire that goes all the way back to the turnsignal switch. I'd check for power coming out at the turnsignal switch connector first to see if it's a problem with the turnsignal switch or broke wire going to the back.

Right rear tail lights: One brown wire goes to the rear for all ten bulbs in the back. That's eight tail lights and two side markers. If one side works and the other doesn't... could be broke/cut wires, splices coming apart, bad connection between left and right. Just have to inspect the tail light harness to figure that out.

With both right turn/stop and tail lights not working, I'd be looking at the rear harness for a smashed/damaged spot.

Clay