Old 05-13-2020, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Frame Horn Seals etc.

Anyone come across the material they use for things like the frame horn seals, the inner fender splash shields, also used in various other places? Kind of like a rubberized paper product.

For some reason I kind of want to make those pieces myself and I'm trying to find the proper material. Rather than spending any more money trying in hit and miss attempts at McMaster I figured I'd ask if anyone has discovered what the material is. I'm sure it's not custom manufactured for vintage cars.

I think it's something like this stuff:

https://www.mcmaster.com/gaskets/gas...sket-material/

About 1/16" thick.

Recently I found the EXACT same plastic brake pedal pivot bushings on McMaster ... exact dimensions, color and appearance of the OEM part ... I get a kick of out that.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I duplicated the frame horn seals with roofing paper. I can't say if it's similar to the original equipment but I had it on hand and it does look the part and serve the purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, very close .... I'd say it's like roofing paper just a tad thicker (not sure if roofing paper comes in different thicknesses) and with a tad of rubber in the mix.

I've got a crusty stiff old original I've been looking at for reference.

I'll have to check out Home Depot

Old 05-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's what I recall. If it was about three times as thick and more flexible. Actually not unlike the factory floor insulation or inner fender splash shields.