Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remove knobs?

Can the chrome knobs on the a/c dash control levers of a 66 GTO be pried off or removed some other way? Tried prying gingerly but saw no movement and stopped before breaking something. Looks like these have to come off some way in order to disassemble the unit.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remove knobs?

Nobody has ever done this?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
Nobody has ever done this?
I did this when I pulled the knobs off a 65 control to have them re-chromed. The knob end of the levers have a “Christmas tree” type cut so the knobs go on but can’t come off----at least easily. I wrapped the control with a bunch of old towels to prevent damage, clamped in a vise, then just really pulled hard and the knobs eventually came off. I tried to avoid using anything mechanical as the pot metal knobs and control could be damaged. The knobs were never meant to be removed and the engineers didn’t design these for disassembly. Also, there is a slight difference on the curved end of the top and bottom knobs. Either knob will fit either lever but if you’re a stickler for correctness note the location of the respective knobs. EDIT: The differences in the knobs may not be applicable on an AC control.

Last edited by 64-3Deuces; 06-03-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remove knobs?

You pulled them off by hand? My initial attempt at prying them off makes this sound impossible, but perhaps I’m not understanding completely. You didn’t use anything to apply leverage and pry them off? How did you reattach them?

Old 06-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Small piece of underlayment plywood to lay over the faceplate and a prybar with a claw.
Sort of like pulling a nail, SLOW & STEADY.
Some of suggested heating them and they will pull right off, but I've not done that.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
You pulled them off by hand? My initial attempt at prying them off makes this sound impossible, but perhaps I’m not understanding completely. You didn’t use anything to apply leverage and pry them off? How did you reattach them?
I simply grabbed the knob the best I could and pulled them by hand, but it really took a lot of effort. The attached pic, though not the best, shows the notches on knob end that act as a “one way” attachment. The knobs still fit pretty tight but I coated the lever ends with a light coat of epoxy for added insurance.

The wood/prybar method described in another post sounds like it’s worth a try; not sure how you tried to pry them off. As I stated, I tried to avoid anything mechanical to prevent damage. Also, I assumed the knobs were pot metal but I checked with a magnet and it sticks. However, it is a strong magnet and I don’t if it is sticking to the knobs or attracted to the lever as the knobs are attached.

The pic is from thepartguy.com. He restores heater controls among other things. If you can’t get the knobs off maybe give him a call and see what he says…though he may try to give the ‘ol sales pitch for a rebuilt unit..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEATER_CONTROL_LEVERS_64-65GTOLeMans05-15.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	541797  

Old 06-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Small piece of underlayment plywood to lay over the faceplate and a prybar with a claw.
Sort of like pulling a nail, SLOW & STEADY.
Some of suggested heating them and they will pull right off, but I've not done that.
This^^^^. A paint stir stick and a claw hammer. Roll the hammer and the knob will come off easily with zero distress or damage.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remove knobs?

Bingo! Claw hammer did the trick although the amount of leverage needed was a little scary at times. Many thanks for your ideas and help.