Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hy-Lift Johnson Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Has anyone used these?

Hy-Lift Johnson Pontiac SE Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifter with Pressure Pin Oiling Set/16 HLJ-2347SE

Hylift Johnson has a patented Direct Shot® Bearing Oil injection system (E on part number) as an option to all of our roller Lifters. Our system utilizes a proprietary oil band system that prevents debris from clogging up the oil supply hole. Extreme engine testing has shown that our system has improved durability by as much as 300%.

"S" (S on part number) or Slow Design: These parts have an “S” designation after their part number. So a Slow Design part number will look like A-0817S. These Lifters have a Leak Down on the upper end of the scale from 90 to 120 seconds. In a performance application these lifter will actually act like a mechanical lifter with very little effective loss of valve lift or duration at any RPM. Just like the “R” Lifters these have a much smaller Leak Down range that will also balance all of the cylinders to each other. These lifters are very hard to produce because the TOTAL clearance between the I.D. of the Body and the Piston assembly is reduced to less than 0.000120”, or 1/30 of a human hair. These are like super heavy duty shocks and can handle higher spring pressures without collapsing like the standard and “R” lifters. The only draw back of this type of lifter is that if the valve train should “Float” because of reaching a higher RPM than the valve springs can handle these lifters will try to take up the excessive clearance causing the valve to hang open resulting in a loss of power. Because these are Hydraulic lifters there is no lash or additional adjustment needed and the full cam profile is translated to the valves. In testing, not only did these lifters result in more power and higher RPM reading over other Hydraulic lifters they also reduced valve train wear and failure compared to mechanical lifters.

This lifter is standard in all Butler Hyd Roller Kits. Made in America.

Butler sells these for $599.95

Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Hi-Lift Johnson SE series in Harley Davidson Twin Cam engines and they are excellent. Light years ahead of the "noisy" Delphi lifters HD went with back in the early 2000's to save money. The leak down rates are very close, they operate very quiet and zero durability issues with them in that application.

I suspect that they will be at the top of the pile for "retro-fit" HR's just judging by the quality of the ones I've used here........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some times it is difficult to tell which HR lifter folks are referring too when talking about Johnson. There is Hylift Johnson and Johnson, both made in Michigan, both claim they are made in the USA. See the photo I attached, Johnson claims Hylift Johnson outsources some stuff over seas. But Hylift Johnson claims other wise. IMHO, both companies make a good lifter and generally should not have some of the QC issues seen with some of the other brands. I have only had the Hylift J’s.

As far as the hylift johnson “s” option lifter goes, it is also available on their flat tappet cams. But it is $$$. My first pick is usually the the hylift Johnson with either HR or flat tappet lifters. If a FT or HR cam and lifters is ordered from Bullet racings cams the lifters are Hylift Johnsons. But from what I recall the “s” and the “e” prefix for the extra axle oiling are options on the HR lifters. I think I depends what cam you plan to run, I am more likely to use a “s” lifter or the oiling option above 5500 rpm. We usually do solid lifters above those rpms anyway, so I have never tried the s option. I do not recall if Bullet stocks it or if the has to be ordered, on a lot of street cams the “s” hylift J lifter is probably not all that necessary, it depends on the cam and the rpm band. The “e” oiling option imo is always a good idea.

http://toplineauto.com/wp-content/up...on-Catalog.pdf

This all gets a little confusing. Butler has most of the major brands, plus the Johnson and Hylift Johnson’s on their site. Most of engines I know of from Butler have had comp lifters. Lol. Plus there are the claims companies put on their sites. Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FECC33AF-E373-4308-83C4-00B2C99DB548.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	541741  

Last edited by Jay S; 06-04-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe it's the Johnson (not the high lift Johnson) That Paul C (Koerner Racing) prefers to use in his Pontiac roller engine builds.

However as I mentioned in the long roller lifter thread that's ongoing, the last 2 Pontiac roller engines I did, the Johnsons were unavailable. At the time Paul had a few builds he was holding up and calling Johnson on a regular basis, but apparently they produce lifters in batches, and Pontiac isn't high on the priority list and they could never give Paul a time frame. By the time I got around to needing them, Paul had already been waiting for months. I waited another 2-3 months and still nothing so I had to use another brand.

It's been 2-3 months now since then, so maybe that has changed. If I were in need of another set I'd give Paul a call and see where the current availability stands.

Or maybe the other "High Lift Johnson" rollers can be had from Butler if you want to go that route.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I believe it's the Johnson (not the high lift Johnson) That Paul C (Koerner Racing) prefers to use in his Pontiac roller engine builds.

However as I mentioned in the long roller lifter thread that's ongoing, the last 2 Pontiac roller engines I did, the Johnsons were unavailable. At the time Paul had a few builds he was holding up and calling Johnson on a regular basis, but apparently they produce lifters in batches, and Pontiac isn't high on the priority list and they could never give Paul a time frame. By the time I got around to needing them, Paul had already been waiting for months. I waited another 2-3 months and still nothing so I had to use another brand.

It's been 2-3 months now since then, so maybe that has changed. If I were in need of another set I'd give Paul a call and see where the current availability stands.

Or maybe the other "High Lift Johnson" rollers can be had from Butler if you want to go that route.
I'd swear that the Hylift Johnson, was the brand that Paul used...maybe not...
Whatever brand he used, the lifters were available with Chevy lifter bodies only. Then Paul was performing the lifter bore mod. of grinding a slot in the lifter bore to keep the oil passage open.
I asked Paul for the part number for these specific HR lifters, he posted it here. Will see if I can find it........

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Bullet HR lifters wrong. Another member mentioned it to me. If they say “Bullet” on the cross bar they are probably Morels. I don’t usually get my lifters from them, I was thinking they were hylift Johnson, I think I am wrong on that. The flat tappet lifters they sell are hylift Johnson’s.

The “Johnson” say unavailable yet on Butlers site. But the Hylift Johnson’s are available there. With the “s” lifter I would not think the the oil band mod would be as necessary, they don’t leak down like the some of the other lifters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1E595A95-1D71-4B09-83CE-10939AFA79A1.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	541746  

Last edited by Jay S; 06-04-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jay,those dont look like Morels?Tom

Old 06-04-2020, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yeah those look more like the comp offering. My Lunati roller lifters (morels) have a body that almost completely encapsulates the roller wheel. There is also a horizontal ridge in the oil band just below the oil feed hole.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, IRC that photo photo is a bbc Morel HR lifter, or something similar. I don’t have a photo of what Bullet sells for a Pontiac. Some of the Morels are more open at the roller. Pontiac morels the roller is more closed. Pontiac Morel top, one of the many BBC Morel hr’s, bottom pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B5D6B380-8047-43B7-8263-50870FCA5A5A.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	541759   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3DC06FB-1B90-43A5-8AE3-A06A9F2D00DC.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	541760  

Last edited by Jay S; 06-04-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Hi-Lift Johnson Hydraulic Roller Lifters

I mistakenly posted reply in "Hydraulic Roller Lifter Failure" thread and I don't know how to move it, if it can be done. I've asked moderator to move it to this thread. Otherwise followers please see my post in "Hydraulic Roller Lifter Failure" concerning Bullet lifters.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"John Callies Inc. is the sales engineering arm of Morel Motorsports, handling all sales of lifters and distributor gears for Morel."

http://www.johncalliesinc.com/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I'd swear that the Hylift Johnson, was the brand that Paul used...maybe not...
Whatever brand he used, the lifters were available with Chevy lifter bodies only. Then Paul was performing the lifter bore mod. of grinding a slot in the lifter bore to keep the oil passage open.
I asked Paul for the part number for these specific HR lifters, he posted it here. Will see if I can find it........
I just forwarded 2 threads about hydraulic lifters/HR cams
Paul mentions Hylift Johnson lifters in both

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...