Old 06-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a tie in to the thread for the build of the engine going into this car. Should of done this earlier.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=834864

Old 06-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great that the transmission install went friendly , AND you get to keep the console.
Was the exhaust mostly pre-fab pieces from over the counter ?

Will check out that engine build thread later.

We would all like to have a set of keys to this car

Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Great that the transmission install went friendly , AND you get to keep the console.
Was the exhaust mostly pre-fab pieces from over the counter ?

Will check out that engine build thread later.

We would all like to have a set of keys to this car
Barron,

Yeah, I was quite happy with the way things went as this was the first conversion I have been involved with. My ’70 T/A already was converted to a 4spd. However, like a lot of things with the ’70 the 4spd was nothing more than a core at best. It was replaced with a T-56. Went in easy since everything was already cut. Here is what it looks like.

Yes, the exhaust was mostly pre-fab pieces. Here is the link to the exhaust system.
https://www.holley.com/products/exha...er/parts/17149

The only thing changed was the mufflers. I can't stand the resonance Flowmaster mufflers throw off. They were replaced with Texas T/A mufflers. They have a real good sound. Here is what it sounds like on my '70.... the video doesn't do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXveB8zehOw&t=56s

BTW, the '70 has the same system as the '73 except it runs reproduction RAIV manifolds and Pypes down pipes.

Thanks for your interest and feedback comments.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325b.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	543119  

Last edited by napster; 06-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, it seems the pandemic is taking its toll on driveshaft companies. The company in Florida my mechanic uses usually has five employees. Over the last month only one guy is doing the work of five. The dimensions were checked before it was to be shipped and it was found to be a 1/2 inch too long. This was over two weeks ago. Now it seems the company is sticking to it's guns and says the shaft will be shipped this Friday and will arrive at the shop on Wednesday of next week. I'll believe it when I see it. This has been going on for over a month.

My mechanic checked with another company he use to deal with and they are running into the same problems. The owner told him to start from scratch right now would take three weeks to get a drive shaft.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The latest update is the hood. When I got the car the hood was fine. The information I got on it indicated the original owner ordered the hood bird and later had the decal removed and the bird painted on the hood. The car was sold to TA specialties in Miami. Once there the painted bird was removed and again replaced with the hood bird decal. Once the car got to me via Texas everything seemed fine.

I sent the car off to a restoration shop in upstate Connecticut. What a mistake that was. They screwed up the engine and put a bow in the hood. I got the car out of there in a hurry. After the car was back in my hands for about six months I noticed some funny things were happening with the paint under the hood decal. So I decided to have the hood taken down to bare metal and the bow addressed at the same time.

Here is the result.

Still waiting for the drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0087.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	543842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	543843  

Last edited by napster; 06-30-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

LOVIING this build! Info on the radiator fan setup? And the valve covers?

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project
Old 07-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70UglyBird View Post
LOVIING this build! Info on the radiator fan setup? And the valve covers?
'70UglyBird,

Thanks for the comment. BTW, I'm following your build as well. It's look'in real good!!!

Valve covers - Here is where I started:

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234744

It starts out with a blank top. I used some of the logos and other items Bulter shows on some of their other valve cover offerings. I added some items I came up with.
They have a person put it together on paper and they send it back for your approval or for more tweaking. Once approved they use a laser to put the design on the valve covers.

Not cheap! I ordered the ones on the engine in this thread in June of last year and they were $650.00. I ordered another set in November of last year and they went to $680.00. The only change was the 496 to 461.

If you want to go for a set ask for Anthony Duncan. He was a big help and nice to work with.

I don't want to get timed out so I will address the cooling fans in another post.

Later,

Jim

Last edited by napster; 07-05-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

‘70UglyBird,

Here is the continuation to the above post:

Fan setup - Well I have to consult with my mechanic on the details, but it is a unit sold by Griffin. Both the radiator and fans are sold as a unit. I have a bigger version of the setup in my 1970 GTO. It is bigger for the GTO since it can accommodate the additional size.

I can tell you about this portion of the fans. I have two backup systems to the main power going to the fans. I’ll tell you why later on. The first backup is if the main power stops working to the fans there is another power setup that will let the fans work at 50%. Since I am now a gauge hawk, I will see the gauge creep up and I will know something is up and it needs to be addressed. The second backup is if the temperature gets to 220 the power will be shut off to the fuel pump.

Here is why I have two backups for electric fans. A few years ago I had a 461 stroker built for one of my ’78 S/E’s. After I had the car for less than two days I fried the engine. Not something I like to talk about.

Anyway, the fans stopped working and since I wasn’t watching the gauges it was too late when I saw a problem. The temp gauge was pegged all the way to the right past the 260. I thought it was a faulty gauge as I had the gauge changed for a bad oil pressure reading. The gauge was not in error. When I looked at the FAST LED read out it showed 255. That is a reading from the intake manifold. The other gauge in the dash was setup to the block.

The car got me home, but once I shut it off steam came out of the shaker, air extractors and front grills. Total carnage. The fans stopped working. The setup on that engine was a radiator and fans from two different companies. Forget about the fan company paying for a new engine.

Once the engine was torn down it was apparent the block took the brunt of it. The top of the block was magnafluxed and it lite up like a Christmas tree. There was no need to do the bottom of the block.

Now I'm a gauge hawk.

Later,

Jim

Last edited by napster; 07-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Senior Chief

Good info there Jim. Those covers are beautiful I may have to see if I can get them squeezed into the budget. I ended up going with a C7 corvette fan and champion 4 core raditor setup to run with Holley HP computer on the advise of my tuner. I'm going to look into a backup system and may ping on that. If this setup doesn't keep car cool I may try the griffon setup. I'm just not ready to go back to fan shroud.

Bobby

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project
Old 07-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally got the drive shaft after two months. It moved things along to start up. I think it might be louder than the '70 or very close. Gnarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVzzzFoUWPg

Last edited by napster; 07-21-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice. So that's a Flowmaster 2.5" exhaust system with Texas T/A mufflers? Manifolds or headers?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Very nice. So that's a Flowmaster 2.5" exhaust system with Texas T/A mufflers? Manifolds or headers?
Thanks. Yes. Doug's Headers, 1 7/8' primary and 3' collectors.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update....
Should of had the car by now, but electrical gremlins have caused a problem and took my mechanic away from shakedown testing to finding out where the problems are. Going on a week and a half.

I was at the shop on Friday and my mechanic did a fly-bye for me.

Here is the link. However, just go to the 50 second mark to get thru the wasted part of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pA5WY2ISEc

Old 12-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another update....still don't have the car.

Electrical gremlins are at it again. Also, it seems the quality of replacement parts can be categorized as junk.

Here is my point. The fuel gauge was bad and replaced. Only to have the same problem with a small amount of gas in the tank and the gauge is pegged all the way to the right. The gauge was tested and found to be OK.

Now it turns out the replacement sending unit that came with the Holley sniper gas tank kit was bad. Hope Holley doesn't give us a problem with this. I have heard people had problems with their customer service.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally got the car back and thought I would post some pictures to close things out.

The first shots do not have the new shaker engine call outs or the hood bird. The week after delivery the new engine callouts and hood bird were installed.

Didn't get a chance to clean the tires. Believe it or not those are white lettered tires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00153.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	560248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00161.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	560249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00162.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	560250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00163.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	560251  

Last edited by napster; 02-06-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Last pictures of the installed hood bird and engine callouts.

I like the look of the car overall since it looks stock, but has a lot going on underneath. Only thing that gives it away when it isn't running is if you are standing far enough away you can see the headers and sub-frame connectors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00169.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	560252   Click image for larger version

Name:	0131211833.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	560253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00159.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	560254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00164.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	560256  

The Following User Says Thank You to napster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Sweet

1979 W72 Fire Am
1976 Fire Am
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamn69 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 12:27 AM

OMG....so cool !

Good luck with your awesome ride

The Following User Says Thank You to stuta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is my plan for my 71, restomod of a 73 brewster.

What color did you use, a mix to original or a close-to paint choice?

Who did your rad top plate?

Did you source a new dash, if so, which, and availability?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-11-2021, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is such a great build- I am So close to driving my 72 TA.... this gets me fired up to finish it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post: