Old 09-20-2020, 04:13 PM

Default 71 carbon canister hoses

Does anyone have an unrestored 71 that could show a pic of the hoses going back and forth from the canister?

My 71 has parts store fuel line on it was looking to improve on that.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One on the core support comes up next to canister and ends, goes rubber to canister vent. This metal line goes under core support where is has Factory restrictions in it as shown by hash marks in the assy manual . this line goes to rubber over the DS inner fender, in holders, and down to metal again against firewall down low behind brake master. The metal is fastened just below by a yellow clip right at front bottom of firewall. A double clip for the rear brake line and this vent line

Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^What he said^^.

Also, I am not 100% because mine is long gone but I think there is a vent from the canister that runs a rubber line to the bowl vent on the carb if your car has EEC. That line going back to the tank would connect to one of the lines coming off of the standoff pipe located behind the rear seat. The other three lines from the standoff go to the three vents on the fuel tank.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim,

I seem to recall that when I bought that car, some of the EVAP stuff was missing. I got a correct canister and bracket and installed them under the hood. I think the metal line under the radiator was missing too, and I had a good used one that I installed. All the rubber and metal EVAP lines at the rear of the car were gone, but I replaced the metal lines with the correct ones that I purchased from Inline Tube. The metal lines from the rear to the front were still in place, so I left them as-is.

If I'm reading your question right, you're asking about the correct rubber fuel hose that I used in the EVAP system. I think I was unhappy with the rubber fuel hose I got from Inline Tube and wasn't sure if it was correct, but it's been so long I'm not 100% sure. As a result, I did use "parts store" rubber hose in some of the EVAP system, both at the canister and under the car near the fuel tank.

The correct hose should have "Gas Gas" imprinted on it. Ames part number FN325KR looks correct, but they only show it in 3/8, and it's kind of pricey at $4.00 a foot, although you would not need a lot of it. Other suppliers might have it in other sizes if you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA68 View Post
Does anyone have an unrestored 71 that could show a pic of the hoses going back and forth from the canister?

My 71 has parts store fuel line on it was looking to improve on that.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Tim,

I seem to recall that when I bought that car, some of the EVAP stuff was missing. I got a correct canister and bracket and installed them under the hood. I think the metal line under the radiator was missing too, and I had a good used one that I installed. All the rubber and metal EVAP lines at the rear of the car were gone, but I replaced the metal lines with the correct ones that I purchased from Inline Tube. The metal lines from the rear to the front were still in place, so I left them as-is.

If I'm reading your question right, you're asking about the correct rubber fuel hose that I used in the EVAP system. I think I was unhappy with the rubber fuel hose I got from Inline Tube and wasn't sure if it was correct, but it's been so long I'm not 100% sure. As a result, I did use "parts store" rubber hose in some of the EVAP system, both at the canister and under the car near the fuel tank.

The correct hose should have "Gas Gas" imprinted on it. Ames part number FN325KR looks correct, but they only show it in 3/8, and it's kind of pricey at $4.00 a foot, although you would not need a lot of it. Other suppliers might have it in other sizes if you need them.
You are correct Chris. The line from the carb to the canister was what I was focused on. That answers my question!!!

Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While some evap hoses may have been printed with "gas gas gas", all the ones I currently have or have had say "evap" followed by the size. I.E. evap 1/4 or evap 5/16 or "evap 3/8, in a blueish-green paint (ink?) with all being in caps.
Same deal with the PCV hose. Venders sell gas gas gas as correct for that app too, but originals I've seen were either plain black or evap 3/8.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
While some evap hoses may have been printed with "gas gas gas", all the ones I currently have or have had say "evap" followed by the size. I.E. evap 1/4 or evap 5/16 or "evap 3/8, in a blueish-green paint (ink?) with all being in caps.
Same deal with the PCV hose. Venders sell gas gas gas as correct for that app too, but originals I've seen were either plain black or evap 3/8.
You wouldn't be able to take a pic or two?

Old 09-24-2020, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA68 View Post
You wouldn't be able to take a pic or two?
I'll see if the pics turn out viewable. The printing on the hoses is very faint.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

Very hard to see, I believe I might still have this hose on the canister, I’ll look tomorrow and post a better pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-25-2020, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a few pics of the evap hoses in 1/4 & 3/8". Gently cleaned a few spots with window cleaner and they turned out pretty clear. Earlier I said the color was bluish-green, but now with them cleaner, I'd say it's more of a light blue.
FWIW, this is a Van Nuys TA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evap hose #1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	550283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evap hose #2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	550284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evap hose #3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	550285  

Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Here's a few pics of the evap hoses in 1/4 & 3/8". Gently cleaned a few spots with window cleaner and they turned out pretty clear. Earlier I said the color was bluish-green, but now with them cleaner, I'd say it's more of a light blue.
FWIW, this is a Van Nuys TA.
Sweet! Thank you so much! Now........does anybody have some they are looking find a new home for? It would make the perfect addition to my 71 assuming an LA car would have the same as a Norwood car

Thanks,
Tim

Old 10-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just pulled this off an original 71 I’m replacing all the lines on. Probably shouldn’t have cut em with a knife. Live and learn

Old 10-04-2020, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No size markings on that hose anywhere?

Old 10-04-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
I just pulled this off an original 71 I’m replacing all the lines on. Probably shouldn’t have cut em with a knife. Live and learn

I sent you a PM

Interesting that there is no size printed.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
No size markings on that hose anywhere?

Nope and this car is so original it still has the pick tags on the drums I found out yesterday lol

Old 01-17-2021, 06:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Restriction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
One on the core support comes up next to canister and ends, goes rubber to canister vent. This metal line goes under core support where is has Factory restrictions in it as shown by hash marks in the assy manual . this line goes to rubber over the DS inner fender, in holders, and down to metal again against firewall down low behind brake master. The metal is fastened just below by a yellow clip right at front bottom of firewall. A double clip for the rear brake line and this vent line
Any description of that restrictor? I have a repo line but no restriction in it.

1971 Trans Am, White/Blue
455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "standpipe end" that comes up next to the canister and fastens to the core support, has a nipple with a 5/16 extended tip, and you slide the short hose over it.
If, you do Not restrict it, you'll basically have a vacuum leak.... at your gas tank..., albiet through some charcoal on the engine end of things.
This line fastens to to the bottom rear of the core support. One end comes up by the battery tray/washer tank, other is near the canister., Rubber over the DS inner wheel well to the pipe coming up with the rear brake line.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
The "standpipe end" that comes up next to the canister and fastens to the core support, has a nipple with a 5/16 extended tip, and you slide the short hose over it.
If, you do Not restrict it, you'll basically have a vacuum leak.... at your gas tank..., albiet through some charcoal on the engine end of things.
This line fastens to to the bottom rear of the core support. One end comes up by the battery tray/washer tank, other is near the canister., Rubber over the DS inner wheel well to the pipe coming up with the rear brake line.
Thanks Bruce. I’m thinking a slightly oversized plug with a small hole in it inserted in the rubber hose just about anywhere between the tank and canister would work. Any idea what size hole that should be?

455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I have done is to solder the canister stand pipe end, then drill a tiny, very tiny hole in it. You cannot blow through this to any degree when its right.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
What I have done is to solder the canister stand pipe end, then drill a tiny, very tiny hole in it. You cannot blow through this to any degree when its right.
Thanks Bruce, that’s a great idea!