Old 03-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '60 Ventura gas sending unit

We've been working on the wife's '60 Ventura over the weekend trying to get the fuel gage to work and I'm at a total loss. The dash gage sits on empty and I have probably 10 gallons of gas in the tank. I took the wires off the sending unit and the gage went to full. So I removed the sending unit and cleaned the wire connections areas real good. I then hooked up the wires with the sending unit out of the tank. As I manually moved the float arm the dash gage would read along properly. I put the sending unit back into the tank, hooked up the wires, and the dash gage went to E. I figured maybe the float wasn't floating so I took it back out and put it in the sink and the float floated. I attached the wires and manually moved the float and the gage read correctly again. I put the unit back in the tank and on E it went. So I took the unit back out, got a tub of water and sit it by the car with the sending in it. Ran a jumper wire from the factory ground wire to the unit, a jumper wire from the hot wire to the unit and the damn dash gage read properly. Put the unit back in the tank and on E it went again. I've added another ground wire and that didn't help either. WTH am I missing or doing wrong? Put in the '60 section as well.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the sender wire [ from sender to gauge ] is shorting to ground.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This something that just happened or been this way since you've owned it or did some part replacement?

If there's no short to be found...Look at things like float arm length or some kind of obstruction in the tank. Example: Long float arm on a thin upright tank with front loading sending unit, float could be touching back wall of the tank. Or maybe one of them old anti theft/anti siphon springs from back in the 'gas crisis' days.

Just because and may not count..Same results before and after you added the insulation. There's barely any amps involved going through the sending unit wire. I've tested a few samples of modern rubber(?) hoses that you could get a volt/ohm reading through. Never put two and two together on that, untill I thought about all the plugwires I've seen arc to ground through a vacuum hose. The hose you used may or may not have enough conductivity to skew the fuel guage reading. Just something I thought needed mentioning.

Clay

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We just bought the car a few weeks ago and the PO never tried to fix it. I've had the tank out and there was nothing in it around the sending unit area to restrict the movement. The float arm isn't bent or anything so it rests where it should when it's out of the tank as well. It's the original tank and sending unit btw. I could see a short being the issue but I seemed to have ruled that out when I put the unit in the tub of water and connected the original wires to it with long jumper wires and it worked properly. Thanks for the help so far guys.

1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grasping at straws

Next time you have it out, check the insulator where the stud goes through the mounting plate.

Sounds like something is touching, going to ground, when it ain't suppose to.

Don't know how the float arm attaches to the rheostat...But could be something in there moving more than it's suppose to.

I'd leave an ohm meter hooked to it while it's out being checked. Then you could watch for readings to change while you wiggle different parts.

Look for scuffed spots on wire insulation. Anywhere the sending unit wire is close to body parts. A rub through spot could be touching bare metal. And doing the R&R on the sending unit is moving that spot.

Keep us updated on this. Whatever it is needs linked to the sticky at the top of this page.
Clay

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well the wife and I finally got this issue corrected. Everything on the sending unit checked out properly using a meter and it functioned properly while being submerged in a tub of water. Turns out the float wouldn't float in gasoline though. I swear it floated in the sink and my wife and father both watched it float in the tub of water as well. I took the original float off and replaced it with a float that I shortened from a '67 GTO sending unit I had laying around. The gauge functions 100% now. I don't know what the difference is between the water and gas and it probably sounds like bs because I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me. I thank everyone for their help.

1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This makes sense

Gas soaked float would be water proof. And gas floats on top of water.

Them foam type carburetor floats does the same thing. The gas soaked just aren't as buoyant (in water) as a good float.

Glad you got it fixed

Clay

Old 04-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Clay, I never thought about a gas soaked float being water proof. Makes sense after the fact though. I still may have issues later as the float I cut down is one of the black tubular foam types out of a '67 GTO. I did cauterize so to speak the cut side with a torch to seal up the foam. At least I now know for sure the problem and will try to get a better replacement float soon.

1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 B'ville 2 door htp