Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-03-2002, 11:34 AM

Hello,

Was talking to the guys over at Gardner exhaust in Rinebeck, NY. They do a lot of advertising on Hemmings so I thought this forum might be a good place to get some advice.

Has anyone purchased from Garnder their exhaust systems? If so, I would like to know the quality of the exhuast system and if you were happy with the materials and the "sound" of thier mufflers...course that depends a lot on the engine.

But any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-03-2002, 11:34 AM

Hello,

Was talking to the guys over at Gardner exhaust in Rinebeck, NY. They do a lot of advertising on Hemmings so I thought this forum might be a good place to get some advice.

Has anyone purchased from Garnder their exhaust systems? If so, I would like to know the quality of the exhuast system and if you were happy with the materials and the "sound" of thier mufflers...course that depends a lot on the engine.

But any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you are looking for a concours correct exhaust, then they are the source.
they do not utilize mandrel bending process like the performance exhaust conpanies do.

Old 03-03-2002, 03:05 PM

excellent quality, fits perfect, the mufflers that are included in the concourse kit are a little on the quiet side.

Old 03-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

Tom and Eric Gardner are too exhaust systems what
Tiger Woods is too golf.

Old 03-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gordon summed it up perfectly.All the best bigpop

Old 03-03-2002, 09:05 PM

Hey Guys..thanks for the input. WOW, what a great reputation they have. I guess that decides it for me then...I'll go with Gardner!

Thanks again...Dan

Old 03-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dan,

The answer to your question depends on two things?
1. Are you after original sound and looks? If the answer is yes...then Gardner is the way to go since the quality is good and these boys have done their homework.
2. If you are after any kind of performance then forget about it! A good friend of mine has a 67 GTO that he was trying to keep as close to stock as possible so he put this exhaust kit on and he was disappointed with performance and his car actually ran "hotter" (67's well known for this) than before the exchange. He was so disappointed with the temp and performance that he switched to the full flowmaster kit and resolved his heating and performace issues immediately. The exhaust now sits in the attic of his garage. It all depends on what you want from this exhaust.

Old 03-04-2002, 12:46 AM

Wanted a near stock system.Put a Gardner system on my 64 GTO Dec.2001. Everything was on the money.Very fair price.Car runs better. Nice sound.John.

Old 03-04-2002, 10:37 PM

John / BAB,

Thanks for the additional input. I have a '66 Lemans Convertible with a Stock 326 2bbl.

I'm hoping this exhaust system will do several things for me. One, I hope the quality is such that it will last a long, long, long time. Hopefully the last one I ever buy. Second, going from the stock single exhuast to the dual exhaust should give me a very mild boost in performance, plus the car should run a little better overall. Not sure if this would cause overheating. I would think it might run cooler. Third, I currently have no "muscle" car sound with my single exhuast. I know..326, it's basically a grocery getter anyway. But, I'm hoping I get a throaty rumble that won't wake the neighbors, but will sound a little meaner that it currently does. Plus, if I go with this exhaust and later down the road I decide to drop in a 389 or 400...this exhaust should bolt right up and even sound better.

Thoughts?

Thanks again, Dan

Old 03-05-2002, 01:41 AM

Dan,go to their web site www.Gardnerexhaust.com. Send them an E- mail via: Contact Us. They will answer all your questions.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:35 PM

You might want to try out your local muffler shops....you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Here where I live there is a "Merlins Muffler" shop and one of the techs specializes in custom exhaust work; he's done a lot of systems on restored older cars. They don't mandrel bend the pipes but he quoted me a price for a dual exhaust for my 326 Tempest of just over $200 installed, complete with mufflers. Since Gardner doesn't mandrel bend their systems either you might save a bundle of dough, get a decent system and have it installed "while-u-wait". In addition, you can pick and choose the mufflers you'd like....Dyno-Max turbos, Flowmasters, stock or whatever; have them install an H-pipe and add some chrome/stainless tailpipe outlet tips. You might be lucky and find a shop with the equipment to mandrel-bend your custom system which is the best set up for max exhaust flow.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: mudhen ]</p>