Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-23-2001, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

i ordered my 2.5 x-pipe. now the guy at the muffler shop is telling me that it will hang very low and posiably drag. i looked for pic's at www.drgas.com but did not see any that fit my application. im sure that there is a way to put one of these on with a nice fit does any one know where i can find some pictures or explain how this done?

Old 11-23-2001, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

i ordered my 2.5 x-pipe. now the guy at the muffler shop is telling me that it will hang very low and posiably drag. i looked for pic's at www.drgas.com but did not see any that fit my application. im sure that there is a way to put one of these on with a nice fit does any one know where i can find some pictures or explain how this done?

Old 11-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Does your car have headers or cast iron manifolds? I have pictures of installations on my '67 with both.

Old 11-23-2001, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

i will be putting the ria air headers from my year on it. i have not bought them yet though,tryed but must have been closed for the holiadays, thank's

Old 11-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In that case the X pipe will not hang very low at all. I had a 2-1/4" system made up with a Gas X pipe and clearance was fine.

Old 11-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

it looks to me that the x pipe would instal just behind the cross member? also can most muffler shops do mandrel bends? i hate to have to buy down pipes unless i need to?

just a little history i 67gto with a 400 and i am in the proses of buying 67ho manifolds 2.5 down pipe 2.5 dr gas xpipe 3 chamber flowmasters with 2.5 mandrel bent torque tech tail pipes.

my car is bone stock with the exeption of a petronics ign and there coil. the car is by far a race car but would like to make it a little stronger with time a thought this would be a good conbo for now and future.
i have raced it once and it went a 14.54 @94.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The X crossover would be placed just behind the trans crossmember. Mandrel bending takes special equipment that all muffler shops I have seen don't have. Purchase your pipes already mandrel bent. As for the headpipe you can get that already made from Torque tech. The only pipes you need to have made by a shop are two short pieces between the X and the mufflers.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

i have the x pipe and the tail pipes are comming they ( torque tech)said the dont make down pipes? i thought that a good shop could make the down pipes but i think i will try to double check the down pipe. thanks

Old 12-07-2001, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2-1/2" ram air manifold down pipe with flanges is listed in their catalog along with a picture of the part. Call and ask again. Maybe they discontinued it?

Old 12-07-2001, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

already done it's on it's way thanks

Old 03-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Senior Chief

OK finally! i had this stuff installed today boy does it sound good. IM glad i went with the 3 chambers as it is plenty loud for me. i wanted the 2 chamber but was talked out of it by my brother thank God. had to trailer it and it was raining here today so i just trailered it back hope to get it out tomorrow and see what it sounds like at wot. i can't wait, well i guess i can look at the dates from my earlier post. don

Old 03-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Congrats Don, 'sounds' like a great system and one that I would like to echo on my 65 GTO w/HO manifolds also. Only difference is that I would like to utilize the exhaust chrome tip splitters. I'd luv to see some pics of your installation on where you placed the x-over, and how you clamped / welded the pipes. Did you go w/2.5 HO manifolds ?

Jim Doran

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-12-2002, 11:26 PM
Senior Chief

yes i did go with the 2.5 ho manifolds from paul delfield so far i realy like them. one problom i see is that the transmison lines run on top actualy touch the manifolds wondering if mine are bent that far off or did the ho cars have something diferent that i have never heard about? i did not put the new brake line on the only way to put this on the way i see it is to have the motor out and that is down the road! so far that is not an issue. ill try to post some pic's this weekend don