Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Default '65 Speedo/odo repair/resto help needed

Can anyone recommend which professional auto gauge repair/ resto service has actual experience and parts on hand to repair our Big Car speedometer/ odometer heads? I removed mine recently from my '65 Cat 2 + 2 because the odometer number wheels are cracked/ sticking, causing the speedometer needle to jump continuously while cruising down the road. The odometer wheels need replacement, speedo should be checked/ calibrated/ lubed. The entire unit needs freshening up. How much could this end up costing me ? Ballpark figures would be great. Mine is the Rally Gauge type for a console car (no PRNDSL). Here's two photos of my cluster.
Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	652+2RallyClusterFront.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	124324   Click image for larger version

Name:	652+2RallyClusterRear.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	124325  

Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a few places listed in Hemmings under "services offered".
I bought an NOS 60 Speedminder speedo from Scott's Speedometer Service. They may be in MI. Their ebay name is "speedoshop". There is also Bob's Speedometer Service and they may also be in MI.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used APT Instruments here in Minneapolis a number of times for gauge repair, and they do a great job. http://www.gaugeguys.com/

Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Stevep, I'll check out Hemmings and your other recommendation. Stuart, I'll consider APT Instruments, also. I've seen your previous posts in other threads, and as a result, have bookmarked their website. Thanks to both of you.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan,
Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 PM

I went to the UPS Store and shipped my speedo/ odo to APT this afternoon via UPS ground. The guy did a great double-box packing job on it. I included detailed info to APT both inside and on the outside of the box. With it insured for $500.00 US, the total came to $25.00 and change. It should arrive at APT next Friday. It took close to a month since I pulled the unit from my car until I got up the nerve to ship it, partly because I was trying to find a spare first (pretty rare piece, I guess...), partly because I had some experience from the past overhauling aircraft instruments, and had to come to realize that I probably couldn't do a good enough job or have access to the parts, etc. needed. Better leave it to the pros. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it works out.
Dan

Old 03-15-2008, 03:52 PM

I checked tracking of my shipped speedo at the UPSStore.com today. It shows the package was received by APT on 3/14/08 late morning. They also had sent me a brief email prior to their receipt saying someone will call when it arrives. That'll probably be on St. Patrick's Day.
Dan

Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM

On March 17th, I received a phone call from the technician Bjorn of APT. He had evaluated my speedo cluster and had prepared a price list for parts & labor for necessary and optional services which he could perform. He was knowledgeable, friendly and professional, though surprised that a replacement for the scratched clear plastic lens was not easily available. We settled upon $870.00 (ouch!!) for repair and resto + $20.00 for return shipping upon job completion. Turnaround time would be 3 to 4 weeks.
On April 17th, I received the completed speedo cluster via DHL. It was double boxed and well packed with no shipping damage.
It looks like he did an excellent job, especially the lens resto. Bjorn told me that it would involve wet sanding and polishing out the scratches, as well as duplicating a factory applied clear finish over the lens. He retained the original odometer reading as I had asked.
I have yet to reinstall it in my car, I'm waiting for warmer weather.
Here's two pics of the finished product:
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Restored65 RallyClusterFront.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	129946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Restored65 RallyClusterRear.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	129947  

Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was more than I thought that it would be, but it looks better than new.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM

I have a 65 rally gauge speedo wanting to clean face what would you use on it? And outside of lens is hazy? Also my oil gauge connectors are pointed in and down at 45 degree angle is this right? Dans yours are at 90 degree in. What would you use to close opening for PRNDSL changing to floor shift.