67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Need advice on automatic shifter

I am putting together a 69 Firebird, using a TCI tubular subframe. Engine and automatic tranny are out of 04 GTO. I would like to use the factory automatic console, which I already have. But, I would prefer an aftermarket shifter. Does anyone make a ratchet style shifter for the 4 speed automatics that will fit in a first gen console?

Anyone out there attempted something like this?

If not, anyone out there have any sugestions. The 04 GTO had a rod from the shifter to the tranny.

I have a shifter from mid-90s Formula, but it is too tall to fit nicely in the console....and it is not the ratchet style....

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks....

Old 10-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember Hurst doing a 2 nd gen replacement shifter
that fit in the console
Since there were so many different combos of a first gen F body,
I doubt youll find anything that was specifically engineered to fit that.
Bob T. did a conversion of a Hurst his/hers in his 68.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about reworking your original '69 shifter? http://www.shiftworks.com/firebird.htm#6869firebird

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We installed a B&M megashifter on the 69 Bird w/factory console. Had to do a little custom fitting but really not to hard and the new shifter plate and boot covers the original hole so the install looks original. Also, I am pretty sure the shifter can be set up with one extra detent to accommodate a 4-speed automatic. There are probably other after-market shifters that could be made to work but the megashifter is the only one we have any experience with.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies. I found them helpful. I was already aware of the Shiftworks conversion. However, the gears (2-3-and OD) are very close together. Additionally, I did want the ratchet style. I figure the car should accelerate pretty well and wrap up quickly. I have experience with the ratchet (67 GTO) shifter and found it useful at the strip and on the street.

I plan to look over the B & M shifters and make a decision soon.

Mike Wasson
Mike's Tripowers
www.pontiactripower.com