Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-25-2002, 12:05 PM

Can any of you guyz give me some advice on selecting 4 tube 1-3/4 headers for my 72 GTO? I was thinking about using Dynomax Cerama-coat headers.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...708&prmenbr=76

They sell for a great price ($240) but the most important question is: will they fit without major "massaging"? In my younger days I spent days wrestling with a set of Cyclone headers. By the time we were done, the rear-most tube needed to be severely dented (approx 50%) to fit. It was such a hassle that I swore I'd never mess with headers again. Well, I'm thinking about going at it again (apparently I have a masochistic nature). Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: 1972_GTO ]</p>

Old 03-25-2002, 12:05 PM

Can any of you guyz give me some advice on selecting 4 tube 1-3/4 headers for my 72 GTO? I was thinking about using Dynomax Cerama-coat headers.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...708&prmenbr=76

They sell for a great price ($240) but the most important question is: will they fit without major "massaging"? In my younger days I spent days wrestling with a set of Cyclone headers. By the time we were done, the rear-most tube needed to be severely dented (approx 50%) to fit. It was such a hassle that I swore I'd never mess with headers again. Well, I'm thinking about going at it again (apparently I have a masochistic nature). Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: 1972_GTO ]</p>

Old 03-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hey Dan, if those are 85114 or any variance of that number, they should be okay IF the tube was held in the jig properly on the driver's side. We have seen two instances where that header hit the lower A-arm mount on 69s but have also seen three or four cases where they fit wonderfully. Sort of a dice roll as to what might happen but you could buy them, test fit them, and return them if the place you bought them from has a return policy.
Tom Hand

Old 03-30-2002, 10:09 AM

Dan i dont have a 400 but a 350 i went with hooker comp and the only problem i had was the headers hit the portionvalve just had to move it to the side .that was it .Brian

Old 04-02-2002, 02:00 PM

Tom & Lemans_Sport,

The headers that I am considering are #86114. I called and talked with the tech folks at Dynomax. They claim that there shouldn't be a fit problem since the headers use 1-5/8 primary diameter tubes. The tech-line chick (Kim - smart lady!) said that you start getting into trouble with the 1-3/4, 1-7/8 and 2" headers. Dynomax is selling the headers through Jegs/Summit for such a great price ($240) that I am going to give them a go. I will post my results.

By the way Tom, Kim at Dynomax knew about some of your exploits. She asked me if I knew you. I said "no" but that I had read many of your posts. Apparently, they got wind of some of the testing that you have done around x-pipes versus h-pipes through Torque Tech Exhaust (I think that was the name of the company that she told me dropped your name to them). I asked her what she knew about the subject, and she referred me to Torque Tech Exhaust and you. Could you share that info with us? I'm curious the difference. The Dr. Gas x-tube that I want is nearly $200. But I can get an h-pipe for about $40. Given that dollar difference, there surely has to be a huge performance difference.

By the way part 2, Tom, is your email correct in your profile? I attempted to email you but it came back undeliverable. I might have fat-fingered your email address... so I tried it again. We'll see what happens...

Dan

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: 1972_GTO ]</p>

Old 04-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Exhaust Guru

Dan, sorry about the delay. My email address is thand@kc.rr.com. Please drop me a note if you can.
Tom