Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK after being sidetracked for months, I am putting my RamAir repros in my 67 GTO. (no racing here, just fast driving)
I want to replace the entire exhaust system too.
I have read over the last 6 months or so, about the great results Mr. Hands saw with the Dr. Gas parts. If I want to use that setup, do I buy the whole thing from them?
Or can I:
-Buy the special R/A GTO Down Pipes, the Headpipes, Tailpipes and Walker Mufflers from Torque Tech ..AND...
-Get the crossover from Dar Gas and have it all put together?

Is that a dumb way to go? Or for a street car, should I just go the Torque Tech full setup with the Walkers?
Also, when I get all the stuff from say, Torque Tech, can i put it all together in my driveway? I'm no dummy but i'm not a mechanic.. Is it OK to drive down to the muffler shop with only my headers on?? Damn, it sure sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!!!!! What do others do once you get your manifolds or headers on and need to get the exhaust on?
One More question please.. which way do the metal header gaskets that Paul sent me go on? With the raised bead towards the exhuast manifold or towards the head?

Thanks so much everyone!
James

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 03-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK after being sidetracked for months, I am putting my RamAir repros in my 67 GTO. (no racing here, just fast driving)
I want to replace the entire exhaust system too.
I have read over the last 6 months or so, about the great results Mr. Hands saw with the Dr. Gas parts. If I want to use that setup, do I buy the whole thing from them?
Or can I:
-Buy the special R/A GTO Down Pipes, the Headpipes, Tailpipes and Walker Mufflers from Torque Tech ..AND...
-Get the crossover from Dar Gas and have it all put together?

Is that a dumb way to go? Or for a street car, should I just go the Torque Tech full setup with the Walkers?
Also, when I get all the stuff from say, Torque Tech, can i put it all together in my driveway? I'm no dummy but i'm not a mechanic.. Is it OK to drive down to the muffler shop with only my headers on?? Damn, it sure sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!!!!! What do others do once you get your manifolds or headers on and need to get the exhaust on?
One More question please.. which way do the metal header gaskets that Paul sent me go on? With the raised bead towards the exhuast manifold or towards the head?

Thanks so much everyone!
James

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 03-06-2002, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

james, im doing this to my 67 gto right now. i will hopfully have mine instaled on monday. i have my old manifolds off and thoght i would touch up some paint here and there since i have all this room now.
here is what im putting on my car:
paul delfield's ho manifolds
torque tech 2.5 down pipes
dr gas 2.5 x-pipe
2.5 3 chamber flowmasters
torque tech 2.5 tail pipes
have you looked at the bolts paul sent you they look like they might be to long i layed mine flat on the bech and there seems to be a lot of bolt still sticking out im afraid they will bottom out or stick to far out on the holes that are exposed.

Old 03-06-2002, 11:20 PM

I ordered a complete (less mufflers) 3 inch system with X-Pipe from the Buick GS Club for my '67 GTO, (fits GM A-bodies). It includes headpipe, X-pipe and tailpipes. I have Torque Tech's 2.5" downpipes for the H.O. exhaust manifolds and have 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducers from Jeg's to smooth the transition from 2.5 downpipes to 3" headpipes.
the 3 inch system is reported to be as light or lighter as 2.5" system and fit is supposed to be great. Hedman makes this system for the GS Club.
Cost was $379 plus shipping.
This system with X pipe has gotten glowing reports in GS club newsletter. ( everything I've gotten from them for my '87 GN has been top notch).

Old 03-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the input!
I just want to benefit from everyones experience. I'd hate to just "not know".
Don-
Yeah I did the same thing touched up a bunch of stuff. Pretty soon I nearly had the car apart!! :-) that was part of the "sidetrack".
I have not checked the bolts.. They are stil wrapped up. I will tonite.

So you bought the 2.5" down pipes from TT and the X crossover. Will the down pipes and Crossover just slide together? And then the X crossover will act as you "headpipe"? Since it is so long? Or do you have some pipes that go to the mufflers?
Sixties'
That sounds like a pretty complete and well priced deal. But you ended up with extra down pipes? Will the 2.5" Down Pipes from TT and the reducers all slide together then onto the Crossover? I'm curious from both of you, since I have never done any exhaust work, do you get this stuff, open the box and start sliding pieces together? Then drive somewhere to get it welded or do you only use clamps and be done with it in your driveway?
Sixties, did you have to cut a few inches off somewhere due to the reducers or difference in the outlet position of the HO's or other reasons? In other words are there any issues with "length" in order to get the right placement of the tips at the rear? Oh yeah, Sixties, are there any clearance issues with the added girth??

Thanks a lot!!!!
James

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: vidguy ]</p>

Work

Details here:
Old 03-07-2002, 03:23 PM

I am in the process of removing old system and waiting on H.O. manifolds to be returned from coating. I intend to have a muffler shop install the system from the manifolds back. I will cut off some of the TT 2.5" downpipe so as to use as much of the 3" system as possible. The reducers are not slip fit and will have to be welded, but using them gives a much smoother flow where the 2.5 downpipe meets the 3" headpipe.
the X junction is slip fit and you have some leeway there as for positioning the system.
(This system also fits header equipped cars)
Reports from Buick GS owners say no clearance problems. I will post more on fit etc. when I have system completely finished.

Old 03-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

i will take my car to an axahust shop as i want it done by some one that knows exahust. im trying to get my manifolds on now but i bought some new brake lines and now need to instal these if its not one thing its another.
vid guy i did not relize i was going to go this far in touching things up the cross member is drying as i type this lol.