Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 01-25-2002, 01:46 AM

I need some intelligent advice. I am contemplating using a blocking intake gasket to close off the crossover, to cool the intake, but more importantly to keep the paint of my restored tripower intake from turning brown I understand the benefits of filling the heads to block the crossover and improve exhaust scavenging. Obviously the gasket method won't help with that, but is there any other reasons why I should/shouldn't do it? (Car is strong street -fair weather only. Willing to work around the choke issue).

Old 01-25-2002, 01:46 AM

I need some intelligent advice. I am contemplating using a blocking intake gasket to close off the crossover, to cool the intake, but more importantly to keep the paint of my restored tripower intake from turning brown I understand the benefits of filling the heads to block the crossover and improve exhaust scavenging. Obviously the gasket method won't help with that, but is there any other reasons why I should/shouldn't do it? (Car is strong street -fair weather only. Willing to work around the choke issue).

Old 01-25-2002, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ranman, the blocked gaskets will, in a short time, burn through. You can stuff the cross over full of aluminum foil, in addition to the blocked heat riser gaskets, but they will still burn out eventually.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would say go for it! Fel-Pro makes a good high preformance intake gasket that has been on my 70 Judge for two years with no signs of giving out. The paint stays nice like you said... as long as you don't mind warming the car up before driving there is nothing but benefit.

P.S. I did not stuff my heads with anything either

Old 01-25-2002, 01:52 PM

Years ago I tried the aluminum foil trick in the crossover and the engine sounded different for about 30 seconds,then the foil melted.I also tried the block off gaskets but they soon burned through also.The best way to block them off is with molten aluminum.

Tom

Old 01-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same experience. Anything I tried short of filling the manifold or the head ended up blowing out. In addition to heating the material, The exhaust pulses work it back which ends up breaking it apart. Without a solid backing the change will be temporary.