Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-26-2020, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with you 100% Johnny and also have to respect Sorrotica for his dedication on the bypass filtration.

Can you by chance post the whole study Sirrotica ? Your post doesn't really provide much information on what was done and how. Nothing is mentioned about the use of a bypass filter to achieve the eight fold wear reduction either?

Old 02-26-2020, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fleetguard has a pretty good summary of by-pass systems and their effects. They manufacture and sell the system and filters I guess. Seems to apply mostly to diesel engines in their examples.

https://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PD...Filtration.pdf

They do mention that most engine wear occurs at startup, so results can vary widely depending on application. Their study appears to only address bottom end bearing wear. Not sure how applicable it would be to a grocery getter. But obvious benefits for engines that see lots of continuous operation.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All I am asking is someone to back up their claims. Verbose posts and association study doesn't cut it for me Sirrotica. You know my uncle ate 2 pounds of garlic sausage a day and lived to 127 years old so all I have to do to live the same age is load up on the same kielbasa.

See what I am getting at? And then someone comes along and thinks they are getting correct information followerd by money leaving their pocket for little ROI.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But to your point P@blo, it would be impossible to find a controlled study with a group of Pontiac enthusiasts driving their cars for 10 years with bypass filtration, and another group driving their pontiacs with stock filtration under the identical conditions.

Whether eating 10lbs of sausage per day, smoking, drinking, or synthetic oil vs dyno oil, we usually only have general "studies " from which to make an informed decision for our own personal needs.

Bypass filtration as well as synthetic oil is likely overkill for most of us in this hobby- but if it makes you sleep better at night, then why not? I am sure we have all spent a lot more money more foolishly than what anyone is going to spend on an oil bypass system.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 02-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969400HO View Post
Really like this idea these of that Black adapter price attached t the OEM filter body.

Is this a home made piece or available via SUMMIT or somewhere ?
Yes, I do not have the part# but Amsoil sells an adapter if you want to keep your oem filter adapter in place. For header and exhaust clearance, it works well to remove the oem housing and use the direct adapter sold by the aftermarket like Butler, etc. I am putting my system back on this weekend and will take a couple of pics.

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 02-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
All I am asking is someone to back up their claims. Verbose posts and association study doesn't cut it for me Sirrotica. You know my uncle ate 2 pounds of garlic sausage a day and lived to 127 years old so all I have to do to live the same age is load up on the same kielbasa.

See what I am getting at? And then someone comes along and thinks they are getting correct information followed by money leaving their pocket for little ROI.
You wouldn't by chance have an engineering background would you?

The monetary ROI will certainly happen by not purchasing as much oil, and not purchasing full flow filters. Anyone should pay for a system within 5 years. Mine was paid for in 4 on my dually, I did the math. How you measure reduced engine wear in dollars and cents, I have no idea, no conversion table that I'm aware of.

As I said previously, the information is out there and I don't have time to spoon feed it to you. Before I invested in a franchise to sell by pass oil filters I invested 6 months into research about by pass oil filters, and their benefits. I condensed what I found out in that research in my numerous posts on the subject. I don't have the time to find every paper or study that I looked at nearly 10 years ago.

When I received my first shipment of oil filters I immediately installed one on my dually diesel, I guess I was still skeptical as to whether the filter would do what was claimed. If it didn't do as claimed I could return the unused portion of the stock, but I needed to know ASAP.

It's still on there 10 years later doing exactly as it was billed. I have continued to install by pass filters on my vehicles because of what the first one has shown me in results. I'm no longer skeptical of the advantages of by pass filtration, and it's benefits, as well as savings from doing frequent manufactures recommended oil changes.

I really have no reason to embellish, or post incorrect information especially since I have used the product on my own vehicles for nearly 10 years. The product does what it claims to do, plain and simple.

Since I no longer have a franchise for Frantz filters, there is no monetary motive for me to convince any member here to buy a by pass system. I have even mentioned that someone could buy the parts to make their own system if they wanted to have a by pass system for less initial investment. If you have doubts, then you have doubts and nothing I say in posts will convince you.

If you really have the interest in using a by pass system, do the legwork as I did, and research to your own end. If a by pass system isn't for your needs, then you'll unequivocally know for certain.

As far as my own beliefs I have proved to myself that with a background as a service technician for 50 years, that the clean oil in any engine pays benefits in longevity of mechanical components, as well as practical longevity of the lubricating oil in any I/C engine. It will only improve as well as extend the oil change intervals safely.

Blackstone labs states that, you can run an engine on a store brand dino oil that passes the SAE requirements, just as well as the most expensive full synthetic oil, just by keeping the oil analytically clean. That is not my opinion, it comes from the technicians at Blackstone labs, which has been doing oil analysis since 1985. They say that the correlation between selection of base stocks and additive packages have little bearing on engine wear.

They go on to say that contamination of oil by coolant, unburned fuels (over rich conditions), and poor air filtration are the major causes of engine wear. Coolant, and raw fuel in the engine cannot be removed by any current filters. By products of the fuel (carbon etc.) are able to be physically removed as well as any silica etc. that enters from the air intake tract. Removing any and all of the solids down to sub 5 micron size has major effects. I'll reemphasize that isn't my opinion, it comes from Blackstone labs from studying thousands of oil samples to analyze engine wear and what can be done to minimize it (The info is on their website).

Blackstone also has a section devoted to pro and con of using by pass oil filtering to extend oil life, as well as minimize engine wear:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-pass-oil-filtration/

Most of the by pass filter companies have had third party testing to support their claims and the info is on their site, you just gotta go there and read it for yourself. Plus there is plenty of info on the net, but you have to do a search and find it. I have no trouble finding information if I want to look up info on the net, you should have the same capabilities if you really want the info............

I'm done posting on the subject for the time being, research the filters pros and cons, makeup your own mind. Do your own research on the subject, then draw your own conclusion. Ultimately the decision is with the owner of the engine whether it makes sense to them.....................[/QUOTE]

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-29-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is how mine is setup, you can see how removal of the OEM filter housing works well around the headers (more of an issue on an A body vs this Fbody.) Since this is a street/strip car, I did remove the OEM heater box and installed a remote marine heater under the dash. Lost the OEM look, but very handy to have a remote filter and still looks respectable.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the EXACT setup I have but I've mounted it where the battery used to be on the radiator support.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice .... and, don't have to crawl under the car to change filters, that has to be nice.