THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Left Lane Dwellers

The SC legislature is finally wanting to pass a law to make it illegal to live in the left lane for miles! They're haggling over a $100 fine vs a steeper fine and 2 points, but either way is fine with me !
I remember waaaaaay back when I got my drivers permit, that was right on top of the list of no-no's, along with passing on the right...rules of the road which are not taught anymore, and even truckers are guilty of it.

68 GTO
Old 02-10-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my sons, who is now about 21, said they don’t even teach this anymore!
The first time we were taking a trip together and he was driving, it drove me nuts. I told him to get in the right lane on the highway, the people behind you are going to get pissed. He had no idea what I was talking about.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Florida passed this last year and, as of January this year, it's now a $166 fine.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 02-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
One of my sons, who is now about 21, said they don’t even teach this anymore!
My kids went for their tests at the DMV, and they were more about seeing them do a three point turn on the road ! Worried about them being able to make u turns, but forget all the important stuff! I did teach them "the old ways" and they haven't forgotten what I taught them.

68 GTO
Old 02-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MN passed this law too although I've never seen it enforced. With the amount of traffic now days it's pretty hard to spend any length of time in either lane. What are you supposed to do when there's 3 or 4 lanes.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad day when you have to legislate common sense. This would never fly here in CA with freeways that are way more than just 2 lanes, but here people nearly all the time move over for you or are going plenty fast enough. We do have a law keeping big rigs in the right 2 lanes thankfully.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed on a three lane HI way truckers will stay in the center lane. I guess it gives more options if there is a problem.

TOM
Old 02-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
I've noticed on a three lane HI way truckers will stay in the center lane. I guess it gives more options if there is a problem.

Exactly why in CA they are kept in the right 2. Going through cities, most keep out of the far right lane for the traffic merging on.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Tom, That's where I'll stay a lot of the time on a 3 lane road...traffic merging on gets the right lane, passers get the left. Kind of the "neutral lane".

68 GTO
Old 02-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Sad day when you have to legislate common sense. This would never fly here in CA with freeways that are way more than just 2 lanes, but here people nearly all the time move over for you or are going plenty fast enough. We do have a law keeping big rigs in the right 2 lanes thankfully.
If there isn't anyone behind me I drive in the left lane. As soon as I see someone coming up from the rear I signal and move over. There are just too many people here who drive well under the speed limit in the other lanes. You could drive 80 MPH (left lane) and sooner or later you'll have someone tail gating you wanting to go even faster which I don't understand being the speeding fines here are outrageous! Trucks here are limited here to 55 MPH also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA_Speeding_Ticket_Chart2.png
Views:	120
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	531596  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A new law isn't going to prevent people from cruising in the left @ 65mph

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Senior Chief

Unless youre getting road head, you have no excuse to hold up traffic in the left lane.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Not sure where you are in California (unless you mean Canada), but I see it all the time here.

The worst are the people who drive the speed limit, then punch it when you try to pass. I’ve gotten into the habit of putting my foot on the floor when passing as a result. No matter how powerful his car is, there’s no way he’ll be able to catch you if you’re doing 90 (and gaining) by the time he realizes it.

Worst offenders I’ve experienced on that last one were in Richmond, VA. EVERY SINGLE CAR did that. Worse yet, my rental Cadillac didn’t have much power, and I was getting dusted by 2- y/o minivans.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i do not like right lane passers

Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

right lane is roughest pavement-broken up by trucks

The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

left lane is for passing, others are for cruising. Having said that, with the amount of traffic on the road today all of the lanes are usually bogged down. I live on the I95 corridor between Washington and Philly.
I did see a bumper sticker on a truck that said 'If I am passing you in the left lane you're an idiot!' I thought that was pretty good.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PA enacted the same type of law in around 2007 that you can't stay in the left lane for more than 1.5 miles, it isn't enforced since inception,. Don't get your hopes up that any other states will enforce it either.

Every state has turn signal laws on the books and no one uses their turn signals, nor is it enforced. Having a class a CDL and having driven semi for a living it's a real major sore spot when people change lanes or slow down to turn in front of me without using signals.

The post about big trucks staying in the middle lane if there are at least 3 lanes is a safety item taught when you train for your CDL. It eliminates having to deal with on and off ramp traffic on the right lane for one, and also gives you a right, and a left lane to go to in an emergency situation rather than trying to use the berm, which isn't always wide enough for a big truck with guard rails on the edge of the road.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Not sure where you are in California (unless you mean Canada), but I see it all the time here.

I live just North of LA and drive the 5, 210, 57, and 10 multiple times a week. In general, I find traffic to be just fine. Sure there are idiots, but they are the minority nowadays. 25+ years ago the idiots were the majority though.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
If there isn't anyone behind me I drive in the left lane. As soon as I see someone coming up from the rear I signal and move over. There are just too many people here who drive well under the speed limit in the other lanes. You could drive 80 MPH (left lane) and sooner or later you'll have someone tail gating you wanting to go even faster which I don't understand being the speeding fines here are outrageous! Trucks here are limited here to 55 MPH also.
A Indiana trooper told me years ago, that he could give you a ticket for that. The left lane is for passing. Done passing? Get back over.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
A Indiana trooper told me years ago, that he could give you a ticket for that. The left lane is for passing. Done passing? Get back over.

Correct. Many states have that law.

CA, no such law.