Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Default Brakes pull to right

A bit of history. 61 Bonneville Safari. When I got it the PO had installed a dual disc master but never put the discs up front. Brakes were all brand new. Drums ,cylinders, shoes , hoses. Car pulled right when braking and there was very little brake pedal travel. I removed that set-up and installed a 64 master/booster combo. It installed easilt and the rod, though different than 61 fit right to brake pedal location. Still very little pedal travel and It still pulls right and its driving me nuts. It seems like the right front is hitting before the left. I have adjusted the shoes on both sides and it doesnt make a difference. The front end is all new except for lower control arm bushings. The wheel cylinders are correct. I have run out of ideas here !!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pulls to the right. You most likely have a problem on the left side brake.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be a few things.

- wheel alignment
- brake hose/line partially blocked with sediment
- different friction materials side to side
- different surface condition on brake drums, causing unequal braking.
- binding wheel cyl
- brake shoes not retracting because of worn springs

Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll add another possibility. Are the primary and secondary shoes installed correctly side to side?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Brakes were all completed at same time. Shoes are installed correctly . I have bled it several times and it bleeds fine. The hoses are new. I may need to find a helper to see if the right side is not retracting or left cylinder is binding so will definitely look into that. Thanks for the suggestions. This one has me stumped.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 PM

Bad wheel bearing, out of round drum.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What ever the problem is it will be in your left side.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 PM

I think your anchor pin (upper) adjustment is wrong. You don't need to take anything off or apart. Loosen the nut on the upper anchor pin on the RIGHT front backing plate, spin the wheel in the forward direction while pulling CCW on the wrench on the adjuster, on the RIGHT ft backing plate, until the wheel drags or stops. Do the same with the left front anchor pin, only you will pull the wrench CW. If you visualize the wrench pointing up, you will be twisting each pin forward. You may have to adjust the star wheel again, and you should check the eccentric of the pin. The high spot should be up, or at the top of the backing plate when starting. No one ever thinks of this adjustment. The Manual states "The anchor pin position is of great importance in maintaining equalized brakes." Page 5-15, second paragraph under Remedy, 1961 Shop Manual.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM

You know I never knew they were adjustable ! Nothing I have tried so far works. Always pulling right. I will get out my manual and check it out !

Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pull

X2 LILABNER http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=anchor+pin

Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 PM

Does anyone have the next couple paragraphs of the 64 ? manual that 8 lug has shown in the thread link above ? Its for 57-64 and looks like more detailed than 61-62 manual I have. May even be an old Chilton or Motors manual.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to do this....thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dont forget to check your lower control arm bushings. If they are worn, as you apply the brakes they will change the angle of the front tire causing it to pull. rare, but still a potential.

the brakes bleed ok but does the pistons move in the wheel cylnder? maybe a stuck/sticky piston?

Also verify right rear suspension and brakes.

Good Luck!

Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Well a big fat lesson learned. As I said in my first post the ONLY thing I did not replace when I rebuilt the front end was the lower control arm bushings. Worked on bakes all morning. Adjusted anchor pin and measured shoe gap. Took for a spin and same darn thing. Had my neighbor drive forward and hit brakes. The wheel is moving on right side. I had it in for an alignment and asked tech to look at lower bushings. He said the "looked" fine. Just got under there and they are rotted. When I had suspension apart I used pry bars to see if there was any play or movement in them. I sold my press so figured I would leave them as is. Mistake. Looks like another winter project for me. The bushings are sitting on the shelf. 61 years old and you think I would know better. I was 4 lousy bolts away to brand new. Thanks for helping me boil it down.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 AM

Had time today to put car on lift and really check the lower control arm bushings. Although the edges are shabby there was no slop in the bushing. Re-traced my steps on adjusting the front anchor pins. I believe I was adjusting them the wrong way on my first try. I did them again , adjusting them in the correct rotation as lilabner described in his above post. Also adjust the star wheel and BINGO !!! It stops dead straight with no pull whatsoever. I will still replace those bushings this winter but the pull is gone and the braking is excellent. Big thanks Lilabner !

Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great news!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyCat View Post
Had time today to put car on lift and really check the lower control arm bushings. Although the edges are shabby there was no slop in the bushing. Re-traced my steps on adjusting the front anchor pins. I believe I was adjusting them the wrong way on my first try. I did them again , adjusting them in the correct rotation as lilabner described in his above post. Also adjust the star wheel and BINGO !!! It stops dead straight with no pull whatsoever. I will still replace those bushings this winter but the pull is gone and the braking is excellent. Big thanks Lilabner !