THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's not your dad's olds...pretty sharp imo

Old 04-12-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
With all your stated desires, I think a 1961 - 63 Olds F85 is what you're looking for. It's a clone of the same year Pontiac Tempest/LeMans.

Smallest Olds made those years, the big Olds motor will drop right in.

Wait, so what you're telling me then is that I need to buy one of these, because my Olds 455 Big Block will bolt right in with the right motor mounts?

Fantastic!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	610643  

Old 04-12-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a Big Block Fan of this as well.! Your engine looks vintage, Put it to work! You WILL be different, and Noticed at car shows..

Old 04-12-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
With all your stated desires, I think a 1961 - 63 Olds F85 is what you're looking for. It's a clone of the same year Pontiac Tempest/LeMans.

I hate you... have I said that yet? Haha... just kidding (I mean that).

I can't stop looking at these 1960-1962 Pontiac Tempest / LeMans... they are gorgeous... it's like... it's like I get that classic Ford Mustang I've always wanted... but it's a Pontiac version. This is literally a Pontiac Mustang... where has this car been all my life? Seriously?

And you're telling me that I can conceivably drop my Olds 455 big block in there without having to cut the firewall and wheel wells? I mean, I know I'd have to put a Th-400 and a real rear-end in there (otherwise it would twist itself in half), but oh my God... I can't stop looking at pictures of these cars.

(EDIT: The Oldsmobile version gives me absolutely no excitement whatsoever. But that Pontiac Tempest... I MUST have one of these...)

Old 04-12-2023, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '61-63 Temoests & LeMans take extensive chassis & floor pan work to convert to traditional rear axle & hold up to substantial torque.

Quote:
With all your stated desires, I think a 1961 - 63 Olds F85 is what you're looking for. It's a clone of the same year Pontiac Tempest/LeMans... Smallest Olds made those years, the big Olds motor will drop right in.
The early F-85's were designated Y-body's just as early Skylarks & Tempest/LeMans. That noted, the early F-85 is no where near a CLONE of an early Tempest. Drivetrain wise, the early Tempest-LeMans uses a flat floorbord body tub, "rope drive", & a specific transaxle out back. The early F-85 & Skylark has a small driveshaft tunnel & a live rear axle. The automatic trans & wimpy rears found in the early F-85's & Skylarks are not something that will hold up to serious torgue. The 2 door Y-body's do share a windshield & other body glass (an impossible to find expensive windshield if the version originally surrounded by stainless trim). The anodized trim & grilles for 63 F-85's are VERY hard to find in nice shape, suitable for refinishing.

In 2001, I was one of the larger quantity buyers in a private salvage yard auction. Bought a bunch of partscars cheap. The only Olds I hauled in were a same maroon color '63 F-85 Cutlass, & an off white '64 F-85 Post Coupe w the B09 442 pkg (not sure the Olds body style terminology). The '64 442 was one of 180 something in that particular bodystyle. Still had its original 3.36 Anti Spin rear (a weak early BUiCK 8.2 10 bolt), along with its original partial boxed lower control arms & curved center drop 7/8 rear swaybar. Over the next year, i completely parted the '63 F-85 while trying to figure what to do with the '64. Was specifically interested in the transmission & rear attachment of the '63 F-85, mainly out out of curiosity as I knew it was a weak setup. A few years before i picked up a very solid '63 LeMans Coupe for an extensive reengineered Street/Strip build. If you truly are set on a later V8 powered early Tempest, my advice would be to find one that has already been converted, had all the paint & bodywork & big expenses done. The '63 Tempest/LeMans are very popular as race cars or street/strip built cars. I've always felt any longtime serious Pontiac restorer/builder/collector should build an early "Tempest" & exercise it occasionally at the strip.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 04-12-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

X2 on this Olds, but add the 64 Dynamic 88 model. Only car my dad ever bought new, same body and color scheme as the one in Champ's pic, all three of his sons drove it to places and in ways he would not have approved.

Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Drop it in here... Then do nothing lol

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto...599637397.html

Old 04-14-2023, 01:50 AM
Senior Chief

The reality is that besides the Cutlass/442s there isn’t much to pick from the Olds line up.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
The reality is that besides the Cutlass/442s there isn’t much to pick from the Olds line up.
'71's & 72 Cutlasses are the easiest of the pre '78 model Cutlasses to find as affordable projects. Huge amount of nice used parts out there, many very affordable. Massive reproduction parts selection as well. As projects of all ranges, '71-72 2 door Supremes typ outnumbering the Cutlass S (fastback) bodystyle 5-1.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Too bad the Tornado is FWD

Old 04-14-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Too bad the Tornado is FWD
While novel engineering, most any 60's-70's Toronado project is a massive money pit.
Best to buy a relatively clean original, vs try & restore one.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

I've put 455s into anything from an A, B, C, F and G-body. The TRW piston to wall clearance spec is way too tight in their literature, so unless you have a bunch of miles already on the engine, you should double check that.

The 403 F-bodies usually got super tall gears, so the lackluster performance isn't unexpected. With a #5, 6 or 7 head swap and 3.73, its a whole new animal, I've done more than a few. Its bottom end strength isnt great, but they will run low 12s all day long and drive back and forth to the track. There is a 4.00 crank available that will take it to 480 cubes.

I love the 403 bashing. Stack up all those engines, I will grab the truck and come get them. The 265 and 301 didn't exactly set the world on fire either.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 04-14-2023, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know people with vista cruisers. If interested email me : thepontiacman@yahoo.com

I also have a 71 vista cruiser parts car with 455.

I had a 74 Hurst Olds years ago.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I think that would be a great plan!