THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Towing Advice

So I haven't ever had a trailer stability issue (knock wood) I pay attention to getting the load balanced properly. In the past when towing with electric brakes my plan in the event of fish tailing was to ease up on the gas and manually activate the trailer brakes.

I'm going to be towing my GTO with my 1/2 ton GMC (tow package, 5.3 etc) using a U-Haul car hauler which I'm guessing has Surge brakes ( I think that's what they are called) that activate hydraulically when forward pressure is felt at the hitch.

I've got a towable man-lift with the same setup, don't have any difficulties with that ... except backing up a hill.

Just wondering if anyone has advice for emergency situations when towing a trailer with that type of braking system?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2024, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

An extra set of skivvies might be helpful cuz ya just never know... past that sounds like you already have a good grip.
Speed is your worst enemy, well, if you don't count the idiots, other than that stay attentive, you should be fine.

Frank

Old 03-12-2024, 04:49 PM

I towed my GTO from Ohio to Washington State on a U-Hall with my Silverado 1500 (5.3) a few years ago and the only issues I had were trailer brake lighting and a walnut sized sidewall bulge developing on a trailer tire after the first day.

The lights required me paying a place to troubleshoot/repair and U-Haul wasn’t too concerned about the tire. Go figure.

The surge brakes worked OK, just be meticulous about the preflight check before breaking out your plastic.

BTCS

The Following User Says Thank You to BTCS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 2 tow dollies with disc surge brakes, I've towed cars with them a good many miles, and they have worked flawlessly over the last 15 years. The surge brakes apply, and disengage much smoother than electric trailer brakes do.

When you would be in an emergency situation, you take your foot off the gas, and immediately the surge brakes start to drag. If you start braking the tow vehicle they will apply proportionately. I own a lot of trailers, and I actually prefer the surge brakes for towing over electric.

I also have driven 18 wheelers hundreds of thousands of miles, the air brake system on a rig is also a much better system over electric. In the years I drove tractor trailer, in all kinds of weather, I'll bet I can count the times I've used the trailer brakes independantly on one hand, and still have fingers left over. Any system that is well engineered proportionately will keep the trailer in the back, where it belongs.

The worst case scenario is a trailer without brakes in an emergency situation. I have a few light duty trailers (under 3000 lbs.) those are the ones I leave plenty of room in front of me. I have K3500 dually, and I prefer to haul my trailers without brakes with that, rather than a car. Just because I need as much braking power on the tow vehicle as possible, due to the trailers having no stopping power, and wanting to shove the front vehicle in a quick stop situation. Towing a tailer with no brakes, loaded heavy, with a light tow vehicle is the times I get my sphincter exercised.............

U Haul rents to anyone with a credit card, drivers license, and a tow vehicle, so their stuff is pretty idiot proof. They never even ask you if you've ever towed a trailer previously, take that for what it's worth...........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have pulled a couple loaded U-haul car trailers down the freeway 70mph and never had an issue (knock on wood). I noticed with my own car trailer.. If I get up to 75-80mph I can see the tail wagging from side to side a little so I back it down to 70. I tow with a 1/2 ton pick up.

Towing an enclosed car trailer or a bumper pull travel is a different story.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, thank you very much folks, makes me feel better about the proposition.

BTCS ... so you had to climb over the mountains to Washington state? How did the 5.3 do with that? Mine is rated to tow 9,000+ lbs (standard cab, 2wd, 3.42 posi rear, all the extra cooling stuff).
I figure the trailer and GTO will be real close to 6,000 lbs.

Last edited by dataway; 03-13-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've towed 3700lb 2 axle open trailer with a GMC 5.3 with 3.73 gear. Very nice combo. I had to watch on wet roads almost slid through a light in ohio going slow. Down hill I was very cautious. If you ever use a tow dolly be awhere of the turning radius I saw a guy in our club turn sharply to get into a show with his 69 Judge the tow dolly fender damaged the Judge fender.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just take it easy and dont get over confident (driving way too fast) and you will be fine. After the first 10 minutes you will have a good feel on how the vehicle will handle. Yes leave a bit more stopping room. Uhaul trailers are bomb proof. Way over built. If you havent ordered the trailer already you may have to do some finageling, hopefully the order will go without a problem. Last summer my son and I went from MD to CT to get his 04 GTO. I did not want to drag an empty trailer and planned on getting a uhaul in CT then one way back. I went to place the order online and the computer kicked it back out because my 2013 truck was 'too old'. I have had trouble in the past renting their trailers due to the computer system they use. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Two things not commented on yet. If possible use equalizer bars. Also if possible use an anti sway device. Kind of resembles a shock absorber.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I need to tow my GTO in the near future and checked out the trailers at the local U-Haul. Between the tires and overall condition, it made me think twice.

A little research online and found the Neighbor's Trailer website/service. Also found the trailer below (2024 Aluma Tilt) local to me for rent. Granted it is substantially more $, but obviously on a different level than the U-Haul. I'm not really one for taking chances vs. $.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	630322  

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 06 Silverado 1/2 ton (170,000 miles) pulled the 68 for 700 miles with no problem. 290 HP 5.3 / 4L60 / 3:23.
Car and truck bed had everything in it except the engine.
50-55 in second gear up the Grapevine hill (6-7% grade for 7 or 8 miles). I just got in line with all the faster trucks in the #2 lane.

Just took my time, stayed in the slow lane (required in CA) and transited Los Angeles rush hour traffic without a hitch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2666.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	630332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2673.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	630333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	630334  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	Going Home.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	630335Towed my 'new to me' '66 GTO 650 miles home over the Cascades with my '05 Tundra 4x4 and a U-haul trailer with zero issues. The trailer had a long tongue and stabilizer struts and the only time I knew it was there was pulling grades, and that just required more throttle. The 282 HP V8 with 3.91 gears made it an easy trip. The GTO was complete, with all the trim in the car and in my truck bed.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since we are posting truck and trailer pics. Here's one with my trailer and another with a U-haul trailer. I rented the U-haul as I wasn't sure if I was going to buy the car or not. Didn't want to drag an empty trailer to Las Vegas and back.

Name:	238635493_1888227861351521_440093986090413874_n.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	630344

Name:	45339927_1067070110133971_1597202289028759552_n (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	630345

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My junk. 8K rated with a 9500# Superwinch, 4 wheel brakes and lots of custom built storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	630348  

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
I need to tow my GTO in the near future and checked out the trailers at the local U-Haul. Between the tires and overall condition, it made me think twice.

A little research online and found the Neighbor's Trailer website/service. Also found the trailer below (2024 Aluma Tilt) local to me for rent. Granted it is substantially more $, but obviously on a different level than the U-Haul. I'm not really one for taking chances vs. $.

Not sure what made you leary of the uhaul? They are not shiny and pretty but they are built to haul a tank. I have used them a couple of times and they did great, and handled great. I would imagine if you had trouble on the road they would be there to help.
One thing to make sure with any trailer is to have a spare tire and the means to change it. I borrowed a friends trailer and although the tires looked perfect we had a blowout. That created a whole new set of problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I borrowed a friends trailer and although the tires looked perfect we had a blowout. That created a whole new set of problems.
Places to avoid if you have a flat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJrR...PYFUr&index=52

Frank

Old 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I travel to Norwalk I have one new tire as a spare on trailer and carry another new tire in truck. Sometimes it's hard to find needed size when needed. My home built trailer has dexter axles with large bolt pattern.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Not sure what made you leary of the uhaul? They are not shiny and pretty but they are built to haul a tank. I have used them a couple of times and they did great, and handled great. I would imagine if you had trouble on the road they would be there to help.
One thing to make sure with any trailer is to have a spare tire and the means to change it. I borrowed a friends trailer and although the tires looked perfect we had a blowout. That created a whole new set of problems.
Mainly the tires...fear of a blowout. The few I saw did not have a lot of tread left and overall condition/maintenance wasn't impressive (I can look past surface rust).

I just stumbled onto the website mentioned and was very surprised that a suitable trailer was local, not to mention a 2024 with some nice options. Figured it was a 'sign'.

With the $$ I have invested in the GTO, I would kick myself if I went the U-Haul route and had an issue, when a seemingly better choice was literally around the corner. Good to know everyone's experience though, in case I 'have' to go that route.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve had great experiences with u-haul trailers too. I’ve pulled my recent a-body cars home with them from several states away with no issues. Some parts of the trip were through some pretty serious elevation changes. The braking was always adequate and I couldn’t get the trailers to sway if I tried. Half the time I didn’t know it was there (Ram 2500/Chevy 1500).

I sold my trailer when the prices of used and new ones skyrocketed a few years back.

My next trailer will be an off-lease Penske car trailer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was out checking the truck over today. So far it's made two 2,200 mile round trips to TN towing about 2,000 lbs without issue (trailer with no brakes). Going to put on a set of semi-metallic pads, calipers are only a year or so old. After I get the new pads on and bled might look at a new MC .. pedal feels a tad soft to me, felt really good last year before the trips to TN. I'm kind of a fanatic about brakes.

I'm probably going to have to slow down from the 75-80mph I tow our little Alumna (1400 lb capacity) trailer

All the tires are new, and a new spare. Planning on a on-way with the U-haul trailer, can get pricey though, but no way I'm towing a 2,000 lb empty trailer back up to NY.

I'll be making one prior trip down with our little trailer ... I guess I could leave the little trailer in TN, and bring it back on the car hauler if I had to, then load up the little for another trip down.

Appreciate all the advice and information.