Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default 71 H.O. spark plug wire terminations

So I ordered and received what are supposedly the correct dated spark plug wires for my 71 T/A. Two of the eight wires have a 90 degree termination at the distributor cap (the remaining 6 just have a straight termination). Can anyone confirm whether this is correct? Appears to be one short wire and one intermediate length wire. Any photos of the distributor/plug wiring on a 71 T/A that are stock is appreciated! Thanks for any help.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default Answers

So I figured out the two wires with the 90 degree distributor terminations are the #7 and #2 wires, which are the two on the very front of the distributor. I guess that is to help prevent arcing from the wire to either the air cleaner base or the shaker base.

What is interesting to me at least is that my engine has suffered from occasional misfire under full throttle load (i.e. drag racing). I can only wonder if this is partially or fully being caused by the aforementioned arcing, as my current wires are a universal type which uses all 180 degree terminations at the distributor. Time will tell. I just don't recall ever seeing stock engines with this setup (two wires with 90 degree distributor terminations). I'll have to look for this in the future when I come across other restorations or stock engines (with original wires, what's the likelihood of that, huh!).

Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Senior Chief

I put my original spark plug wires somewhere. If I find them I’ll let you know what they are like.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. Appreciate it!

Old 11-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
I put my original spark plug wires somewhere. If I find them I’ll let you know what they are like.
I am pretty sure you tossed most of them;
I believe I have one here - one of the only ones which wasn't rock hard.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)