The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Default Dash paint '64 Lemans

Soon going to be painting my '64 interior. On the dashboard the top was painted 0 gloss to avoid windshield reflections. The rest was 60% gloss. I believe someone recommended spraying it all in the same base coat and then clear coat only the gloss area and leave the upper dash in just base coat. Seems weird to me, but not sure why. Would this work?

Old 09-26-2020, 01:51 PM

Okay, just spent a few hours reading a lot of old posts on the '64 dash paint. But I still have the same question that I guess I could have stated better; Can you just leave a base coat without a clear coat on top of it? Is the clear coat a necessary component in a BC/CC system?

Old 09-26-2020, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What color are you doing? If good-ole black then there are plenty of single stage products that you could use. Whether or not the factory appearing "suede texture" is important to you is also a factor.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SEM makes a 1K ...spray can....Satin clear coat...works slick. Or go single stage with a flattening agent...