The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Body off bracing

Any one have a good photo or two of bracing for a body off frame project? Also in order to get the full one piece trunk pan in, the tail panel needs to be out, correct?

Old 10-08-2020, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTurbo View Post
Any one have a good photo or two of bracing for a body off frame project? Also in order to get the full one piece trunk pan in, the tail panel needs to be out, correct?
What kind of car are you asking about?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTurbo View Post
Are you putting it on a rotisserie?

Don

Old 10-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry, its a 65 Tempest post. Plan is to go ahead and get it on a rotisserie. Just haven't bought the rotisserie yet. Have issues with rust around the windshield and along the base of the dash. Was going to take care of that before pulling it off the frame.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's probably not necessary to brace the post body if you're putting it on a rotisserie. As far as the trunk floor goes you'll probably need to remove the tailpanel or at least one lower quarter. Trunk drop downs are also in the way and attached to the outer wheelhouse and quarter.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, for a post car, body bracing isn't necessary in many cases depending on the work being performed. If you aren't getting deep into the rockers, full floor, roof, etc., you don't need to brace it. I just went through extensive metal work with my '66 GTO post coupe, and I didn't brace it while it was on a dolly. Got it back on the frame now and everything came out fine. Like you, I asked here first whether bracing was necessary (and searched elsewhere on the web), and the consensus among everyone was that it's not necessary for your body type.

For the 1-piece trunk pan, yes, the tail panel will need to be removed. That's how we did it on my car, although I also had the frame removed when we replaced the trunk pan. As gtospeig mentioned above, you can also come in from the side if you remove the quarter panel, etc., but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're removing the quarter panel already for other reasons.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-09-2020, 08:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would recommend against replacing a full trunk pan on a rotisserie. Major panel replacement should not be done on a rotisserie imho.

Don

Old 10-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You would not be able to replace a full trunk pan with the car on the rotisserie as the rotisserie usually uses the two rearmost body mounts which are part of the trunk floor pan. You might want to do all other work first with the body on the rotisserie and then remove and support the body to do the trunk pan.