Old 10-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Radiator Cap will not fit

Has anyone run into this problem: 1967 GTO original radiator: The appropriate concours quality radiator cap will not fit this original radiator. I also tried a generic NAPA cap. It looks to me like the two tabs or "ears" on the radiator neck are slightly too large and as you turn the cap, the cap cannot get around them. Any solutions other than to try to modify the tabs, which I do not want to do. Who knows what will fit the. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe a silly question ... but did you push down on it hard while trying to turn it? Some of them seem to require that.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:53 PM

After I could not do it I invited my 30 year old nephew to come over and try. He works out two hours each day prior going to work. Nope. It gets stuck at the same spot. On the tabs. We tried the other cars and we both could get the caps on and off several times. So it’s not a strength or finesse issue. We tried for at least a half an hour. Then gave up for the night.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the old cap fit? I have had a 1967 GTO for over 30 years and the same caps fit the original radiator (which I still have but don't use), the desert cooler I bought years ago and the aluminum one that I now use. I have several old caps and a couple of ones I bought new years ago and they all fit the same. Can you modify the tabs on your cap?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:41 PM

I recently bought this car after it was restored, I took it out for a few short drives and it was all it purported to be. Really nice. So I wanted to check/change the fluids. The reproduction radiator cap was not fully seated. I know the radiator is original but the cap is a reproduction. I'd like to try an original cap to see if the cap really is the problem. Would you be willing to sell one of your original caps? Or know of someone that has one for sale? Thanks.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get my email?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 PM

No. Not yet. I checked inbox and junk files.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just sent you a private message. Hope you get that. Don't know where the email went.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I just sent you a private message. Hope you get that. Don't know where the email went.
I have to apologize. I am out of town and my internet service is poor. I can’t seem to find the email or PM. I’m back next Wednesday night. I’ll try on my home PC.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tried both ways to let you know I only found 1 NOS cap and I want to save that for my car. I have several used caps (not AC Delco) that you could have for the cost of postage. Depending where you live that could be more than the value of the cap though. Let me know if I can help.