Old 10-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need help with fender fitment

Hi all. So I've been working to get the front clip test-fitted on my '66 GTO project, and I've been having a lot of difficultly with the passenger side fender. The goal is to get everything lined up so that we can weld in a lower patch.

The main issue is that the rear edge of the fender seems to have more curve or "bow" than the door. No matter what I try, the fender is always proud of the door in the middle.

The fender is original to the car, but the doors came from a '67 donor, but have original skins and are in great shape (they fit the rear quarters beautifully). Looking at photos of the car when it had the original doors before I took it apart showed that the bow was there then, too, but perhaps a little less prominent.

Do you guys have any tips for how to address this issue? This is my first rodeo with panel fitment...

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How does it hang with the lower bolts out of it? Any chance you are creating the bow by drawing the bottom up? My 64 has a shim in the lower bolt location...Just a thought I hope the experts will chime in for you.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's still got a bow even with the lower bolts out, and I used two fairly thick shims with the bolts installed.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

spoon it. amazing how well these tools work.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
spoon it. amazing how well these tools work.
Pardon my ignorance, but spoon the fender, or the door?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not an expert, I have used the spoon(s) on my own fenders with very good results. I was surprised at how much tweaking can be achieved with no damage to the metal.

if it were me, I would complete the patch panel first. the condition otherwise could change with the weak/rusted area there. once the fender is patched you know what you have.

the pic looks to me like a pretty minor mis-match as far as being able to correct.

go at it slow and easily getting a feel for how much the metal will tolerate. I've learned there are no set methods necessarily, flange bending tools/hammer and dolly its whatever works. a combination of all etc.

there are some very experienced folks on here, hopefully we will see some add to this.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the 2 lowest fender bolts (3/8" to lower cowl and 5/16" to inner fender) are tight, the picture tells me that the radiator support needs to be shimmed upwards. Follow the peak of the lower body line from the door onto the fender. See how the fender peak goes outward as it goes forward? That's a start. The curvature profile you mention is another issue.
I spent today adjusting the fit on a 67 front end. Maybe I can help.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	8724C439-BA3A-4DF8-8012-0C79AF3AF657.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	551531

Slapping spoon.....use it to pry....then lay it flat on the panel and hit it with a hammer. Your just trying to “ Massage” the fender and door gap curvature....providing it fits at the top and bottom