Old 05-10-2024, 02:24 PM

Default Block Date Code - too close to build date?

Trying to determine if this is too close to car build date to be considered correct-

I have a 65 GTO convert that I bought in 1990, as a non running project car. I knew it was a stick shift, but later when I got the PHS I found out the car was originally a 3x2 4 spd so I have been trying to find a date code correct WS block for it. I have found a couple but all have been too $$$ or issues like already bored .060 or etc.

I have found one that is std bore, magged, guaranteed ok but I am worried the date code is too close to my build date.

Car cowl tag is 01D (4th wk of Jan 65)
Billing sheet from PHS has build/invoice date as 1/29/65

Casting date on block I am looking at is 1/26/65

Car was built at Pontiac plant where all engines were built.

Is this too close to be considered date code correct? The answers I have gotten is this is atypically close but could be considered correct.

I am just doing a driver not a show car, and have no intentions should I sell of representing it as original just date code correct replacement block

One of the previous owners must have had two 65 GTOs as it came with a WT code engine that was cast in June or July. Was thinking I could rebuild a correct WS code engine and eventually sell the WT code engine as it is a runner

Old 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not too close at all. I had a 66 GTO, Pontiac plant build. Engine built Nov. 8, car built Nov. 11. Totally within the scope of normal for that plant.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
Not too close at all. I had a 66 GTO, Pontiac plant build. Engine built Nov. 8, car built Nov. 11. Totally within the scope of normal for that plant.
Thanks