THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am examining the suggestions (positive) that were brought up. The Michelin guide looks thorough to say the least! I will contact Hagerty and see what sort of rider I will need - in fact they may have the dope I need concerning permits and the like.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Will they let you drive with US plates on the car, or would you have to get a special tag from the country you enter from where the ship docks? Insurance must be hell too.

It's bad enough driving in US cities or Canada let alone going to Europe. You couldn't pay me to take my GTO over there and drive it. I'd be afraid it would disappear on some dark and dreary night. Just to be safe get a LoJack installed in it Scarebird.

Edit:
Check out the European highways in this link Scarebird. You'll be near some of them.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/trip...d=iehp#image=2
Or worse you could be car jacked - kidnapped - held for ransom.

I don’t think it is a good idea to be an American traveling abroad driving any vehicle that sticks out from the ordinary.

Jim

Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Enough of that, ok? I live in one of the most crime ridden cities in the USA - most of Western Europe is far safer.

A chat with a Hagerty rep yielded all sorts of good information - one nugget is that I need to find a few car shows over there while I am there to attend.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation Road trip of a lifetime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I am looking in the near future to take a long vacation in Europe - perhaps start in Spain and wander up, or start in Hamburg/Rotterdam and go south. Thought it would be cool to send the Lemans or TA and Air BnB it. Any experiences or potential pitfalls I should look for?
Hey Mark,
What a great idea! I'm so envious-if I were 10 years younger I would love to drive my old TA clone over Stevio Pass, passing through the tunnels (with the electric cutouts open ), and criss-cross the Alps . Ignore the naysayers and take the road trip of a lifetime .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 AM

You will have a blast!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Really no big problem driving old cars over here. You might want to skip the rush hour in the larger cities but otherwise the risk of something happening to your car should not be any higher than back home. So far I never had any damage to my Pontiacs in traffic here since you always drive a bit more carefully and foreward looking than in your modern cars anyhow. You do not park your classic car in some dark and deserted shady area at night back home either, I guess...
Driving on the Autobahn is not much different from driving on interstates in the US, only the trucks are not allowed to drive more than 50 mph. You just should stay out of the left lane most of the time if you do not intend to drive 100+ mph permanetly.
I sometimes see cars with US plates driving around here (mainly in summer) and if you have some kind of travel insurance cover for the car it should be no problem. Fuel costs might be considerably higher but on the other hand you can get 100 octane fuel here, if you like (at least in Germany). Should you come to Bremerhaven and/or Hamburg let me know if you need anything there, since I am almost daily in Hamburg and quite often in Bremerhaven... Even getting the basic spareparts for your car should not be too complicated since there are quite some shops around that supply the local US car fans with parts.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 AM

I forgot to mention:
Finding car shows over here (at least in the summer) shouldbe no problem at all. There is some kind of classic car event somewhere almost every weekend and most are open to all sorts of classic cars. The special US car shows would certainly welcome you with especially open arms...

Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 AM

x2 Helge71
x2 tiretread that you should go to Tiroli / winding roads in northern Italy.
It´s truly magnificent.
After you´re over the Alps head to Turin check some smaller roads of the area through Piemonte wine area. Then down to mediterranean coast and follow the coastline west to Marseille and then to Spain. Buy a good road map, there´s plenty of excellent choices.
You can take all necessary insurances back home. Your license plates are good here and there is no extra paperwork, customs, duties etc. once you are in European Union. Possible road taxes you pay when entering or leaving toll road.
In some countries (like Austria) taxes only applies to motorways and you can buy ticket from service stations. If you´re not using motorways you don´t need it.
Rotterdam would be harbour to consider, as it´s close to Amsterdam which will be easy place to fly from US.
You might want to ask shipping from http://raysautomotive.net/index.htm
He sends containers to Europe weekly and has been doing it for years.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Enough of that, ok? I live in one of the most crime ridden cities in the USA - most of Western Europe is far safer.

A chat with a Hagerty rep yielded all sorts of good information - one nugget is that I need to find a few car shows over there while I am there to attend.
When are you planning on doing your trip? and if you do visit NL I might be able to recommend something.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charlie, we are looking late August till early October - no firm dates.