Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 58/59 power brake question

What is the source of engine vacuum for '58 (and if it is different, '59) for the power brake booster? I need to know where the hose plugs into the engine.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:08 AM

Bill.....for the 59 Tri-Power it's at the rear base of the front carb. For the economy (small) 2bbl it's at the rear base. For the standard (large) 2bbl it's at the front base. For the 4bbl IDK......John

Old 06-02-2020, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John. Is the "base" part of the carb? Reason I am asking is a friend with a '58 GMC with stock Pontiac V8 wants to add power brakes. The GMC enging uses the exact same part number intake manifold, but a Bendix/Stromberg carb instead of a 2GC. The manifold itself does not seem to have a provision for vacuum.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:51 AM

Bill.....power brakes need manifold vacuum. The base is the part of the carb that has the throttle blades, and should have a port that is below the blades. If the carb doesn't haven a tapped port there, you need to drill and tap the intake somewhere. Also a reserve tank with a check valve is needed incase the engine stalls......John