67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Default 69 Firebird Hood Hinges

Having trouble getting the hood to sit right on the car and found the left hood hinge is a problem. Went to GM and found they are very pricey. This car has been in the family and I have had it since it was 3 years old. Does anyone have a good used left hood hindge. The right lines up ok or should I replace both and should I go new? If so has anyone had any luck when replacing theirs. Thanks, CW chainechat@Yahoo.com

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I changed my hood hinges last month with another set of original hinges I blasted and painted so they looked like original. The hood does not fit like it did before after much adjusting. I plan to do the same to my original hinges or send them out for restoration. I will take a look and see if I have an extra left (driver side, correct) this weekend.

Tom

"We have got but one life here. It pays, no matter what comes after it, to try and do things, to accomplish things in this life and not merely to have a soft and pleasant time." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." - A father's words of wisdom to his children
Old 04-30-2011, 01:10 AM

Talking

Replace both, I used the repops with original springs and they work fine and look original. No problems so far, and you'll be able to get the hood to sit flush with the fenders and cowl

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323983
Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Default 69 Firebird hood hindges

Thanks for the replies and I am wondering where you got the repro hindges from and cost. That is immpressive considering you were able to use your old springs and you got the hood to line up with the fenders and cowl. A bodyman I spoke to mentioned that he ran into problems with some reproduction hindges as the springs did not work as well.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there are 3 grades of hinges listed in order of worth
GM OEM new and or good used
repro thats OEM quality
repro thats junk

make sure you get any but the last listed