Old 05-26-2016, 01:15 AM

Default 1975 Pontiac Grand Am Courtesy Lights

When I step on the brakes the courtesy lights come on. The dome light with the two map lights on the side lights up in the middle dome when I step on the brakes. At first it was just the dome and now the two in the floor console come on. The headlight switch only turns on the two console lights and not the dome light. The map lights also do not work and I am sure the bulbs are good. At night this is quite annoying as I can be sitting at a light with the dome light illuminating me. Any help or suggestions would be helpful as I have a service manual but can't seem to resolve this. Thanks, CW

Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a bad ground, or improper bulb in the tail lights somewhere. have you done anything lately to the car?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2!

Usually when the brakes make a light come on it is from grounding.
The brake pedal rod moves and makes a better/worse ground to the dash area.
(or check to make sure the rod isn't wearing through a wire?)

The bulb idea is good too, if one of the filaments breaks and falls against the other (or ground) it will provide power to the other circuit.

Lots of strange things can happen with electricity.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your fuses, especially stop light and tail light. Not just look good but make sure there's power on both ends where the fuse snaps in.

If not a blown fuse, then look for rub through on one of the courtesy/dome light, white wires, in the brake pedal area.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:20 PM

Default 1975 Pontiac Grand Am Courtesy Light issue

Thanks for the replies. I have done a lot to this car lately but all this was going on before I changed out the aftermarket radio to the original am/fm stereo, replaced front dash speaker, changed out intermittent wiper dash switch and worked on lower dash ac vents. I am stumped as to why the map lights stopped working and the headlight switch doesn't turn on the dome light and I will continue to check all the issues mentioned. Thanks again,
CW

Old 05-28-2016, 06:34 PM

Default 1975 Pontiac Grand Am Courtesy Light issue

After reading the service manual for this car and doing some testing I thought I would post an update so if anyone else had a problem like this they would know how to correct it. It seemed a complicated electrical issue and turned out quite simple. Along with the other problems the hazard flashers did not work. I went through a few that I had in a box and found a flasher that was good and now they work. Along with that all the other issues went away. The dome light works as normal along with the map lights. No dome light on with the brake depressed. Can you believe it was that simple. Again thanks for everyone that posted.
CW

Old 05-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on the fix, glad it was a simple one.