Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM

Default windshield washer pump not working

For lack of response in A body section I need help with my non functioning washer system on my 1975 Pontiac Grand Am with pulse wipers. It seems to be an electrical issue as the pump is intact but not functioning. So there are three plug in areas on this washer assembly which bolts onto the wiper motor. Not sure where the problem is and would welcome being able to send it off for check out. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the wiper motor make the 'click-click-click' sound when you push the wash button?
The circuit board in pulse wipers makes them a little different/tricky to work on. I suspect that the wash cycle works the same as non pulse models though.

If you are getting the 'click-click' sound the pump probably needs a repair kit.
No 'click-click' then need to determine if wash has power going to it and if the wiper switch is completing the ground circuit when you push the button.
If power and ground check good, chances are something has broke with the pump cam drive mechanism inside the wiper motor.

A test light is all you need to check for power and ground at the wash plugin/connector. Black with yellow stripe is a common color for the power wire. The other wire you would check for ground while you push the was button.

Beyond that..IDK..but we'll give it a shot
Clay

Old 08-27-2016, 06:15 PM

Default 1975 Grand Am windshield washer

Clay I just wanted to take the time to Thank You for a great post. At least now I have a starting point. Thanks again, CW

Old 09-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Default 75 Grand Am washer

Thanks to Clay I found the unit was getting power and needed the assembly taken off so the pin from the wiper motor could engage with the washer assembly so that the pump would function. Works great now Thanks again, CW