Old 03-30-2020, 03:49 PM

Default Alternator rebuilding

1964 1100683-37A 4A8 (Qty 2) This alternator has been setting for a few decades but I think it is worth saving. I was able to remove the bolts and the pulley/fan. The rotor is free, however, the stator is fused to the case.

Any ideas? Is it safe to try brake or contact cleaner? I realize a rebuilt would be less expensive.

My 2nd alt. is the same but date coded 4F1. It's in much better shape but I'm still working on removing the stubborn pulley/fan nut and 1 case bolt for inspection. The hex relief in the shaft is beginning to strip. Is cutting off the nut the last resort? Been applying acetone/ATF for weeks.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stator is attached by some small nuts to the rear case. I have gotten them apart using a large flat blade screwdriver carefully in between the side bolt bosses using a twisting motion to pry. It will start moving a little at a time and then will come off.

I use an impact to remove these nuts and hold the fan with my hand (wear a glove). Sometimes I need to loosen and tighten, back and forth, a few times to get it off. In one case I still couldn't get it off so did cut the nut. Don't damage the rotor threads though.