Old 05-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 - 1972 Hood Release Question

Hi Guys,

On my 72 Firebird, I recently purchased a used bracket with plastic grommet that holds the hood latch release handle. The bracket was listed as 1970 GTO, but was marked as also fitting 70-72 Firebirds. This is the bracket that bolts with two bolts to the core support upright brace. From all the comparison I have done it looks like the right one. It fits the brace just fine too.

My question is really with the handle, I purchased a reproduction one, and it looks right but it has a few bends that is difficult to compare with pictures. I have everything in place, and it works, but I think it could be better. Prior, I had my own home-made handle and bracket before, but I rather have it factory. The issue is the handle seems to supported by the bracket at the point where it bends to go up over the grill. I figured the bracket would have supported the handle more in the middle part where there is no bends. That is where I think things could be better, if the bracket supported the rod more on the straight portion it wouldn't be trying to lower and raise when I pull on it like it does now.

Am I right? Maybe my new reproduction handle is not bent well and needs some tweaking.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

Picture is worth a thousand words. Does the rod look like it is sitting right in the bracket. How does it compare?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_202250.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	539946  

Old 05-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232CD11E-90DB-44B3-B7CC-E22E82466FFD.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	539960  

Old 05-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks! Yes that does help. Looks like I got a little tweeking to do on that reproduction handle, about an 1/2 inch worth.