THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Wow, girlfriend sends man's car to the junk yard

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33723/...-hes-traveling

Old 05-31-2020, 04:36 AM

I would get a new girlfriend!

Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Too many friggin ads, won't let me read the story.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Too many friggin ads, won't let me read the story.
As hobbies go, classic car ownership isn't on the cheap end of the spectrum, and the expense sometimes associated can stress otherwise healthy relationships. When a relationship isn't healthy, however, the car can be what wrests two people apart, which one Reddit user learned when he came home from a work trip to find his jealous live-in girlfriend had scrapped his 1967 Chevrolet Impala project.

Reddit user Jimothyisyouruncle explained in a lengthy post that he acquired the above Impala sedan in February of 2019, his goal being to restore the car to its former glory. Earlier this year, he and the Chevy moved to a two-acre property with a 2.5-car garage, which the disassembled Impala quickly took up, its body in one bay, the frame in the other, and parts everywhere else. Shortly thereafter, his girlfriend moved in, and that's when the trouble began.

OP's girlfriend insisted on parking in the garage, though with a gutted car completely occupying that space, that was out of the question. Besides, he figured, "I have two acres of land with a lot of nice places to park under shady trees, or hell, even in the barn if it has to be inside." He told her—in nicer words, of course—to pound sand, and thought nothing more of it before leaving for a business trip. We'll let him explain how things unfolded on his return.

"When I got back, my girlfriend was all smiles. Making me food all the time, doing all the chores, all that. I thought maybe she just was happy to have me home, but then I realized that I didn't see her car in its usual spot. I asked her where she parked, so I could make sure I mow that area and keep it clean, and she said not to worry because she parked in the garage. I asked how, and she told me to go check it out."

"Turns out that while I was gone, she hired some people to come over and move everything related to that car, including the drivetrain, body, and chassis and all parts, and take it to the local dump/scrapyard. I was absolutely dumbfounded. I had spent over $11,000 on that car including new parts, services, and the car itself."

Needless to say, he booted her out on the spot and immediately sought legal counsel to recover some of what he had spent on the Impala. He also took security footage to the police to file grand theft auto and grand larceny charges against his ex, and begin the search for his car, which was quickly found at a local junkyard.

"The junkyard guys apparently were in the middle of hiding it when the police came to ask them questions," recalled Jimothyisyouruncle. "It was on a forklift and they were gonna put it on top of a pile of cars that was hidden behind more piles of cars. They said it was theirs, and [that] they had the title, but [they] obviously didn't have the title for it, and since they matched the VIN on the chassis and body to the vin on my title, it was obviously mine. I know at least one person there has been arrested, I think he was in the camera footage I talked about earlier [...] they also told me they would be looking into this specific junkyard for any other vehicles reported stolen."

"I'm just so glad they found my car. Luckily, I made quite an album of pictures detailing me tearing down the car, and so I can use that to prove what parts they had were mine, so I can hopefully get most or all of it back. Police haven't let me take it back home yet, as they say it is evidence or something, so hopefully I can get it back eventually."

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bat Crap Crazy Comes to mind.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 1967 Lemans in the pictures of my signature used to belong to my X wife before we were married. When she bought a 1968 Lemans later on, I ended up with the 67, and drove it for a couple years on the street as a beater, but eventually parked it. I got married in 1974 then and it was sitting in the driveway languishing.

When the local speedway announced they were forming a new class for novices in 1975 I decided that the 67 would make an excellent candidate for the new class. Built the car with a cage, got a 400 from the sponsor and made it a clone 67 GTO.

The car was a winner from the first race I entered, and racked up an impressive amount of wins and trophies, but of course was time consuming to keep in top shape, that was a problem with the X wife. There were frequent arguments over the race car and one day she delivered an ultimatum that either the race car goes, or she goes. I tried to tell her that giving me an ultimatum like that wasn't fair, and that she was jealous of an inanimate object.

We made a compromise that I would race the car every other week. She, of course, didn't hold up her end of the deal, and the car was a source of stress for 2 years. I'm sorry I tried to compromise with her, and only race every other week. I should have stuck to my guns and let here leave, and kept the car. I still continued to race, moved up a class with the 69 GP, and the fighting also continued.........

Finally in 1979 I just gave up on racing, as she had made it no fun anymore. The stress and aggravation wasn't worth it any longer.....

She finally did leave, 25 years later. My life could have been so much simpler if I would have told her to leave back then, and said, don't let the door hit ya in the ass!!!

There's a reason that race cars are called, "The other woman, or mistress".

I almost forgot, through the years I've always had cars sitting around, that my X wife threatened to call someone up and just have them "come and get them". I told her if that ever happened, she, and whoever hauled them off would be in trouble, because I legally owned the cars. At least it never came to that point, as the person in the article did.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-31-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She should consider herself lucky she's just getting sued.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-31-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Looking on the bright side - the money he lost on that car pales in comparison to what the divorce in his future was going to cost.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I am living a charmed life. I have a single garage housing my 68, a double housing my 75 and pickup truck. My wife's car resides in either driveway. (For some reason she dislikes entering and exiting a garage.)

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 05-31-2020, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
Well, I am living a charmed life. I have a single garage housing my 68, a double housing my 75 and pickup truck. My wife's car resides in either driveway. (For some reason she dislikes entering and exiting a garage.)
Now....is this in Canada...or Arizona...LOL, or both?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-31-2020, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I often realize how fortunate I am to be married to a woman who supports my various interests and hobbies. I can't imagine having to battle over this kind of stuff...life is just to short...

Glad they found his car.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow ! Color her gone.........

Glad to have one that likes cars!

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
I often realize how fortunate I am to be married to a woman who supports my various interests and hobbies. I can't imagine having to battle over this kind of stuff...life is just to short...

Glad they found his car.
I was married to one that HATED everything I owned!!! Glad that only lasted 5 years...Phew!!!

Funny thing about that article....I am wondering if the picture of that 67 Chevy on the trailer is the EXACT car??? The car on the trailer has Bel Air trim on it, at least the EXACT same Bel Air trim my 67 Bel Air had...My 67 looked exactly like that car. Mine was Emerald Turquoise, though. My first car. drove it from 75-97. It was falling into disrepair. I kept the engine, trans and rear end...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or you could tell your GF you're tired of the temper, the crazy and the constant nagging about selling the car and come home to this like I did:

Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NeighborsComplaint....Wow - that is nuts! I'm about speechless...

Old 06-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Funny thing about that article....I am wondering if the picture of that 67 Chevy on the trailer is the EXACT car??? The car on the trailer has Bel Air trim on it, at least the EXACT same Bel Air trim my 67 Bel Air had...My 67 looked exactly like that car. Mine was Emerald Turquoise, though.
Looking through troves of images on a search, I only saw 1-2 Impalas that had the molding on the waistline instead of (or in addition to) the 'knee line'. Those also could have been owner add-ons. The moldings on the car on the trailer look to be OEM style.
I agree, probably a Bel Air.

What that car might look like in it's glory:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'67 Impala Sedan.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	541493  

Last edited by Lightfoot; 06-01-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Looking through troves of images on a search, I only saw 1-2 Impalas that had the molding on the waistline instead of (or in addition to) the 'knee line'. Those also could have been owner add-ons. The moldings on the car on the trailer look to be OEM style.
I agree, probably a Bel Air.

What that car might look like in it's glory:
I had my Bel Air repainted, factory color in 1978. I was still able to order all those moldings, (like the pictured car on the trailer) from GM at that time. I thought it was highway robbery that the moldings were $20.00 each... Lol!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Crazy Stuff, Neighbors C. that is aweful, I know I could get my wife to that point but she's a redhead!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Crazy Stuff, Neighbors C. that is aweful, I know I could get my wife to that point but she's a redhead!

Wish my ex would have done that to me earlier in the marriage, i could have moved out saved a couple of years of grief...LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

My wife said on day why don’t you just restore your 67 gto instead of just doing a little at a time. I ended using all the bays of out 3 car garage to do a frame off. Took a year and a half. She supported me all the way. A real keeper. Love her.