Old 06-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 73 SD Houston Craigslist

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...134487064.html

No affiliation- just thought I would share

Old 06-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

UK export car when new. Came to Canada in the 90s(?) Went to the U.S. last fall out of Ontario, Canada.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Suspended

That's a more realistic price than the other SD listed here lately for 88K which is an absurd price. I figured 52K and now here is this one for 53K. The days of high prices for these cars is over, and they will go lower still.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
That's a more realistic price than the other SD listed here lately for 88K which is an absurd price. I figured 52K and now here is this one for 53K. The days of high prices for these cars is over, and they will go lower still.
There's a big difference in condition and originality between the two...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 06-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
There's a big difference in condition and originality between the two...
Perhaps to a collector who is just looking to add it to his collection as an investment and garage it so it doesn't get any more miles on it and drop its value - kinda a high price and waste for a trailer queen. For the guy who is going to actually use the car, get it dirty, rack up the original miles and wear out parts, 88K is an absurd price and that's why it is still for sale. 53K is a driver you can have fun with, take to car shows, and still have bragging rights that it is an SD.

Never could understand why anyone would go to such lengths to restore a car, or purchase a rare original, and put gobs of insurance on it so they can't drive it only under certain conditions, and then put 100 miles a year on it.

I'd rather have a presentable car, put regular car insurance on it, and drive the hell out of it and enjoy. If I blow it up, wear out parts, or get whacked, it'll be because I am using it and out enjoying it. It's only a car, not a delicate and expensive Fabrge egg. Did you forget, "Turn it on, wind it up, blow it out, GTO?" Drive it like there is no tomorrow because for some, there won't be.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

" put regular car insurance on it" < Now there is a way to Loose even 53K...

Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any proof it’s a x in vin SD? Not see a lot of correctness in engine bay, interior.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's the one starlightblack wrote about, it is a real SD TA. (not original engine)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the PHS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDexport.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	541686  

Old 06-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does that say seat belts delete? Also it looks like there was a credit for the Trans Am option?

Old 06-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

only SHOULDER belt delete

Old 06-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Does that say seat belts delete? Also it looks like there was a credit for the Trans Am option?
that T/A credit is for the lack of functional shaker where the flapper was riveted shut starting in '73. If it was at the full non-military discount it would show -$27.00 if I remember right.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
only SHOULDER belt delete

Seat belts are in 2nd column, 2nd item down.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I exchanged emails with the owner. It had partial quarters and the trunk floor replaced several years back. Per the owner's statements, it was exported to England, restored there in the mid-90s, and then went to Canada in the mid-2000s. It also has some modifcations such as sub-frame connectors. There are a lot of things that are incorrect but it is a true SD car.

I have a numbers matching red 73 T/A 455 4-spd that was hit in the front end. Body shell is excellent, but the sub-frame was damaged. I also have a complete SD motor with no codes or SR numbers at all that I was planning to use in this car. My goal was to build a 73 SD455 4-spd with a/c built as a touring car when I retire. It will definitely have some modifications beyond stock so numbers match is not a problem. I was considering selling my wrecked 73 as a numbers matching standard 455 4-spd car, then sell the SD motor separately. The proceeds would put a big dent into the cost of this car, which I could drive right away. After digging into the specifics of the car, I'm not thrilled that that it has rust repair.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Perhaps to a collector who is just looking to add it to his collection as an investment and garage it so it doesn't get any more miles on it and drop its value - kinda a high price and waste for a trailer queen. For the guy who is going to actually use the car, get it dirty, rack up the original miles and wear out parts, 88K is an absurd price and that's why it is still for sale. 53K is a driver you can have fun with, take to car shows, and still have bragging rights that it is an SD.

Never could understand why anyone would go to such lengths to restore a car, or purchase a rare original, and put gobs of insurance on it so they can't drive it only under certain conditions, and then put 100 miles a year on it.

I'd rather have a presentable car, put regular car insurance on it, and drive the hell out of it and enjoy. If I blow it up, wear out parts, or get whacked, it'll be because I am using it and out enjoying it. It's only a car, not a delicate and expensive Fabrge egg. Did you forget, "Turn it on, wind it up, blow it out, GTO?" Drive it like there is no tomorrow because for some, there won't be.
Not trying to start an argument. But, it really all depends on where you're coming from.
For example, there is a huge difference between a car that my neighbor thinks looks good vs a car that my Dad(who ran a body shop for almost all his adult life) thinks looks good.

Relative to the specific cars in question, I would love to own either one. However, I personally think they are both high. That said. Based solely on condition, I would call this car toward the more ratty end of "driver". Likewise, when I have in the past made the mistake of saying I'm looking for a "driver", I often have people trying to sell me what I consider closer to "beater" than "driver"(rust, dash totaled from the sun, seats blowing out, etc.) See what I mean about it depending where you are coming from?
Additionally, while I also think the 80k car is high, I don't think anyone would dispute that it appears to be a WAAYYYY nicer car. And BTW I would absolutely drive that car if I could afford it.

Which brings me to another point regarding where person is coming from. I about choked when I read "53k is a driver". Just wow! I am not denying that many of our Pontiacs now sell for that much or more. However, in my opinion, anyone who can spend 53k for a driver is either very literally spending their life savings or absolutely qualifies as "having money falling out their a**". As I said, it's all about where you are coming from.

Just my 2 cents.

The Following User Says Thank You to justincampbell For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And what's with the '71 - 72 seats and outer seat belt? Odd!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:13 PM

I would describe that as Ruff.

And if it has been in Houston any length of time, the salt air is doing it's corrosion thing 24/7.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
" put regular car insurance on it" < Now there is a way to Loose even 53K...
Hmmm. Not sure what state you live in and their requirments. Here in NC it is mandatory you have insurance. So if I got wacked,and it was the other guy's fault, he pays. Insurance companies know the value of collector cars, so you'll get a fair settlement. If not to your liking, then you have legal recourse and can sue for the difference if you feel inclined.

If I get whacked by someone who does not have insurance, NC mandates that I have to have uninsured motorist coverage as part of my insurance policy. If I get wacked, my policy covers up to 60K, so if totaled out, that would cover most of the 53K. If wrecked and rebuildable, that is covered.

I can drive the car as any other car, no restrictions. I don't have to have a garage, or one that locks - which I don't anyway. I can use it as a daily if I wanted to. I have 3 vehicles insured at the moment, one 5 years old, my truck, 28 years old, and my weekend cruising toy, 47 years old. My insurance for the year for all 3 is $400.00 a year - which came down this last billing cycle due to safe driver discounts. My 1-owner low mileage cruising car is in good shape, but not anywhere near 53K, or even my policy limit of 60K. So if it got totalled, it would be covered and like a few I have read of, I may even get well above its current value due to its low production number, low mileage, and condition.

If having specialty car insurance makes you feel more secure and somehow causes you to believe no one will tear into you or total you out, then great for you. The reality of it for me is that everyone on the road is an idiot and has no respect for driver or car, so it is just a matter of when you will take the hit and how severe it will be. I drive defensively each time I drive, I don't let my guard down for an instant. There is no such thing as a leisurely Sunday drive out in the country - that's when you get wacked because you got lax. It is common to see cars blow through red lights seconds after your light goes green, or pull right out in front of you because they don't want to wait to get behind you even though there is no one behind you. There is no thing as a "safe" following distance and if you have 1 car length, sometimes less, the aggressive drivers will simply hard turn into your lane in front of you on the interstates so they don't get slowed down and could care less if you have a foot of distance between your bumper and theirs, and don't be surprised if you get a brake check to seal the deal so you back off of them like you are following them too close. Had a clown in a Mustang roll back into my car one day in a traffic jam. I jumped out an confronted him. He just looked at me and said I ran into him and he didn't know what I was talking about, he never rolled back into me. No damage, but even if there was, how would I have proven it? That's how it is around here. So specialty insurance or not, it isn't going to save you and if you think it will, then more power to you. But as the Mustang guy stated, it was my fault, so you better have a witness as all the specialty insurance can't produce that when none are found and it's your word against today's dishonest and lying generation.

So "regular" insurance has me covered up to 60K and my car is just a car and I enjoy as I do, but live in the reality that I could take a hit at any moment I leave my driveway. So I don't worry about it, drive defensively and aware at all times, and know my insurance will produce some replacement valve, but know you can never replace the car anyway if it gets totaled - it's gone, period. I'll just find another ride as I like all kinds of brands and types from rat-rods to muscle cars.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t seem to have much trouble with salt air in Houston- I’m about 80 miles from the coast. In Galveston it’s a completely different story.

But, most of my cars are stored indoors

Old 06-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daduck View Post
I would describe that as Ruff.

And if it has been in Houston any length of time, the salt air is doing it's corrosion thing 24/7.
Do you mean Galveston? I've never seen it in Houston unless you live way near the coastline.