Old 07-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

Default Another perspective

$80k. Can ask for it in this location, SSC is on the way to Silicon Valley, Napa Valley, Tahoe., Carmel. High rollers drive by this place as it’s visible from freeway. Can stop in after a long weekend, pick it up for their trust fund kid or trophy wife and have it home b4 sundown.
Wrong radio knobs, etc. Meh. Some buyers like to do the Knick knacks like oil filler caps and trunk mats to feel like they contributed. Even the nose piece being a different color....I’d be concerned about how much bondo...a car this old probably took more than a bop in the schnozz. And also, the fitment is an issue.
8 years to restore...odds increase owner put mucho dollares in her...paint, well, could be trying to match orange peel look of the day, or just mediocre work.
If it were me, original motor is very important. And for 80 large I’d rather have options like HO or even a #3 ram-air if possible. Note in the ad it does not say original engine or drivetrain. These guy are too smart for that in sue-happy CA.
But if love this particular car and it’s options you can always low-ball them and when they act all shocked, read off the list of things in this thread. And voice your worry their may be more imperfections you can’t see.

Good luck!
Rob in Nor-Cal

Old 07-28-2020, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet that choke works real good.

No stove or rod.

What a turd.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
To add to the above points in post #12, (pump pulley color, etc ), I see what looks like 15" repro wheels, trunk color is wrong, window crank knob color should be parchment.
Window cranks aren't even 67. I was under the impression these repro Rally Is were
14x7s?? Could be wrong though. And those white letters didn't start until later, like
69/70? Generic voltage regulator without a condensor. The battery just has a topper,
nothing wrong with that per se, but they seemed really proud of it. I'd rattle can that
white battery case faster than you can say Rust-oleum.

What's up with the rear seatbelt buckles? They're kinda like a cross between Deluxe
and standard?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Suspended

Normally I don't get that picky about fit & finish on a factory assembled vehicle but what's up with the deck lid? The fit seems about right but that moulding is way off. Could this be a repop deck lid? They also installed the weatherstrip in the "leak" position. The ends are towards the front of the car.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Suspended

And how many times were jumper cables used on those new battery cables?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:55 AM

My search continues! If anyone finds a good 66 (original tri-power) or 67 with:

-convertible
- #2 or better condition
-original red exterior and original interior color
-all original powertrain (including block, heads, covers, trans, rear-end)
-4-speed manual
-power steering
-all PHS documented

let me know!

And I have a 67 to trade. So, you could make some money AND have a nice driver!

1967 Corvette L68 convertible
1967 GTO 400 convertible
1968 Camaro 396 SS/RS convertible
1969 Plymouth GTX 440
1969 Mach 1 R-Code Cobra Jet
1970 Olds 442 W-30
1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1
1970 Dodge Super Bee Hemi
1978 VW Beetle convertible
2011 Mercedes SLS
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 07-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
There are MUCH better for less.
I agree. The car is overpriced by at least 30k. Move on.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think threads like this are really educational for people thinking about paying huge money for these cars. I always learn something and miss little things like the 66 dash knobs on a 67. One thing that really burns me up though is huge asking prices and then a zillion pictures that don't show anything! All those pictures and not a single picture of the underside of this car? Three dozen pictures of little patches of the body, taken so close they show nothing. The whole presentation has that shyster used car sale vibe.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I think threads like this are really educational for people thinking about paying huge money for these cars. I always learn something and miss little things like the 66 dash knobs on a 67.
Agreed. On a similar note, the Bring A Trailer auction website is pretty interesting in this regard, since they allow public comments on each of their listings and tend to attract a relatively knowledgeable base of commenters. It's one of the appeals of the site, whereby all sorts of people will come out of the woodwork to comment on obscure details that help potential bidders make decisions. It ends up being pretty educational.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Bring A Trailer is a great web-site. You can get lost there for hours, and share knowledge and learn much more. I sold my ‘86 Alfa Romeo GTV6 on that site a few years ago. Got a fair price too considering it was a #2 or #3 car. And the guy drove it all way across country home to Miami with no issues!! I think that was my proudest moment of any regarding cars I’ve restored.