Old 06-07-2020, 08:07 PM

Default 1963 Catalina chassis and suspension

I'm looking at maybe acquiring a 63 Catalina and since I like cars that handle well I was wondering what aftermarket suspension might be out there as well as if any parts interchange with the other GM cars.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2020, 08:37 PM

There's virtually no parts interchange with other GM cars.

You can get boxed rear control arms, Addco makes front and rear antiroll bars, better shock absorbers are available, and firmer springs can be sourced from a few spring suppliers.

There is at least one place selling tubular front suspension control arms but I don't know if they provide any improvement in handling over stock. https://pmtfabrication.com/product-c...ntiac-catalina

Old 06-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Those rear control arms will bind that four link up, I would stay away from them and just use the stock units with new rubber bushings or do like I did and make adjustable rear control arms out of pipe and Currie Johnny Joints.. Make sure you hit the bushings with a few tacks to keep them in place..

These cars have a 5 degree KPI on a short spindle, then there the rear steer issue. They were designed to run negative caster and positive camber so that should tell you your not going anywhere with the stock suspension. I've made more modifications to one of these platforms then anybody out there. The best advice is to buy a A body the 68 to 72 is best then go to Detroit Speed. There is nothing out there for this suspension.

I had a 64 Bonneville. I ended up running 8 degrees positive caster with .50 negative camber, it was the best I could do. The bump steer coupled with the steering linkage being in compression makes these car, well, kind of hairy..

Best bet keep all the factory control arms, use good rubber bushings. Set the alignment up at 2/2.5 positive caster, .20 negative camber, 1/25-1/25 toe in and call it a day. Also make sure you get the idler arm in there good, I welded the frame up where it connects, the frames move back and forth because they are super thin there.
I would strongly suggest getting a Lee steering box with 14:1 set for 20 pounds. That should help with the bump. Use Bilstine shocks with the biggest Helwig front bar you can find. Then get the factory rear bar set up. It was very advanced for the day. Its not bolted to the lower control arms like the others..
I would also use the stock 8 lug drums with the 67-68 checkered rims. Then put the new Diamond back H70-14 radials on them. I know a guy whop has them on his 66 GP and they ride and handle like a dream.. They look fantastic with all the lettering shaved off, Diamond back does that for a few bucks..

I got a lot of my ides from a mechanic who worked for Smokey.. He said you could drive one of his Catalina's around the track at 100 mph with your foot, thats how straight they were. Of course he took the whole car apart and rebuilt every little thing inch by inch.. He had 10" spindles made with a KPI of 7.5!! Then he ran 8 degrees of plus caster, this is with manual steering!!!

If you looking for handling get a 68 to 72 El camino. Nothing like it in A body but the 69-72 Grand Prix comes close, they both share the same massive #1942 AO Smith frame...

Last edited by 389; 06-07-2020 at 09:33 PM.