Old 05-07-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Drums to disc

1970 Catalina conversation where do I start need to change all drums to disc

Old 05-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

The Right Stuff Detailing kits are pretty decent for a cruiser and won't break the bank.

A word of caution, if you need use of a parking brake, opt for the rear kits with the integrated parking brake drum like that used on Ford Explorers. The GM metric calipers with integrated parking brake are notorious for causing a low squishy pedal because they're finicky and hard to get adjusted properly. If you don't need a parking brake, go with a non-parking brake kit to save some coin.

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the right stuff on my firebird front and back. As was said they are decent, nothing special. The only issue I have with them is think their proportioning valves are brutal to install. If I did it over I would just use an inline adjustable prop valve. Expect to have to go to your local Napa and get a short brake line or two unless you buy The Right Stuff entire line kit. If your existing front to back lines are good I wouldn't do all that work. Just install the new master and see what kinda short jumper lines you need to install.

Note on that, I had a non power kit. Ive heard the power kits are easier to install line wise.

If you want to work with a board member you can contact Scarebird on the forum. His company specializes in retrofitting common off the shelf parts to your needs through custom brackets. So with him you would buy the brackets and can then search for the best price or highest quality parts to use on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Default Right stuff

Thanks for that I called them guys and the dont supply anything for the big pontiacs

Old 05-07-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I have the right stuff on my firebird front and back. As was said they are decent, nothing special. The only issue I have with them is think their proportioning valves are brutal to install. If I did it over I would just use an inline adjustable prop valve. Expect to have to go to your local Napa and get a short brake line or two unless you buy The Right Stuff entire line kit. If your existing front to back lines are good I wouldn't do all that work. Just install the new master and see what kinda short jumper lines you need to install.

Note on that, I had a non power kit. Ive heard the power kits are easier to install line wise.

If you want to work with a board member you can contact Scarebird on the forum. His company specializes in retrofitting common off the shelf parts to your needs through custom brackets. So with him you would buy the brackets and can then search for the best price or highest quality parts to use on your own.
I contacted scare bird and he told me to get on this form they no longer make it

Old 05-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

My apologies, I didn't comprehend this is B-Body stuff.

My understanding is there are no aftermarkt stock height spindles for B-Body's. As a result if you want a brake kit for stock height spindles, things start to get a bit crazy. If you're looking at lowering the vehicle, you can get some of the cheaper kit's in 2" drop spindle options, such as this.

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/fsc65sdds

You would then pair that with an appropriate rear kit that will fit a BOP rear end with bolt in axles.

This would allow you to run 15" wheels, which may or may not be a sticking point for you.

I believe that KORE3 has a Corvette based solution for B Body spindles, though you may have to change to a modern B-Body spindle to do so (94-96 Impala). They do mention they have outer wheel bearing instead of inner wheel bearing kits available. I would call KORE3 directly and speak to Tobin in he's available.

http://www.kore3.com/index.php

Problem with the KORE3 setup is it's going to be about double the total price and it's also going to require at least a 17" wheel (noting that not all 17" wheels will work) with the possibility of an 18" depending on the style.

If you want to keep the factory ride height and the factory size wheels, that leaves you with having to do some scrounging and fabricating or mixing and matching.

As I understand it, you may be able to use A body spindles and steering arms on your B-Body. However, you're losing spindle height and the steering arm is being located in a different area. This is going to screw with the front end geometry. If you chose to try this out, you would want to take measurements on total spindle height from lower to upper ball joint (as they actually rest in the spindle) and height of the steering arm mount in relationship to the lower ball joint. Utilizing tall ball joints you may be able to replicate the geometry pretty close (if not make it a bit better). That would then allow you to use an A body disc brake kit for which there is availability of lowered and stock ride height spindles in the GM short spindle or aftermarket tall spindle variety.

You may also be able to adapt 94-2001 F-Body brakes to the factory spindle, but you would need to fabricate caliper mounting brackets to do so.

Hopefully somebody with more B-Body knowledge will jump in an confirm whether utilizing A body parts is actually doable or not.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually recommend going to discs just because parts and maintenance are cheaper/easier. In your case, unless you are going with a big wheel/big brake kit like the KORE3, I think a good rebuild of your drums is probably a better bet.

You wont get enough of a return on your time and effort to use something like a stock A body brake (which is what a Right Stuff kit is) over properly functioning drums.

I also didn't realize how scarce a cheap and easy kit would be for your car when I first posted. So I agree with JLM, if you want to use drop spindles, and your drums are a mess, buy one of the kits. If you are going to have to do a bunch of mixing and matching or fabrication, just rebuild the drums.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Suspended

The stock disc drum set up on that car was a very nice brake system... I would use that with Porterfield pads and shoes..