Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Ames Shipping

I've dealt with Ames for several years and spent a LOT of money.

However, recently I ran into a shipping cost that I think is crazy and they really weren't willing to help me out at all on it.

Here was my order:
1) Driver side seat foam
2) Driver side upholstery
3) in-line heater valve

Parts cost: about $344
Shipping cost: about $44

Really? What happened to things like free shipping on orders over a few hundred bucks? I think a reasonable shipping cost might have been $20 at most.

I'll bet everything could have been stuffed into 6x12x18 box easy and the weight would be nothing.

Just saying - I'll start looking elsewhere........

Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Default shipping

Been saying it for years, Members should get a discount since we probably are a big % of the sales profit, SHOW SOME LOVE

Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread is like beating a dead horse, and I stand neutral, but I sent a part (used seat belt sleeves) through the post office recently and the shipping was over $15. I dont think that $40 sounds to bad for all of that stuff.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just shipped a rifle from Michigan to Nevada and it cost me $ 92.00 without the insurance ! This was through the USPS (United States Postal Service).

Tim john---

Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber104 View Post
I've dealt with Ames for several years and spent a LOT of money.

However, recently I ran into a shipping cost that I think is crazy and they really weren't willing to help me out at all on it.

Here was my order:
1) Driver side seat foam
2) Driver side upholstery
3) in-line heater valve

Really? What happened to things like free shipping on orders over a few hundred bucks? I think a reasonable shipping cost might have been $20 at most.

I'll bet everything could have been stuffed into 6x12x18 box easy and the weight would be nothing.

cyber104, the shipping cost comes to $44.00 including oversize for the seat foam. The seat foam is actually in a box measuring approximately 32"x22"x13" and weighing about 10 lbs, depending on which manufacturer you go with. Late second gen f-body seat foams are quite large and cannot be folded into a small box. The seat upholstery is shipping separately and will come directly from the manufacturer. We are always willing to help with shipping wherever we can; sadly this is not one of those cases.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The last bucket seat cushion I bought came from the manufacturer in a 28"x28"x8" box.
Doubtful they could have "stuffed" that entire order in a box less than half that size.

Look up "dimensional shipping weight", you'll likely see that what they were charging was reasonable.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Suspended

And I bet that if they were "stuffed" into a smaller box and got creased, the buyer would be bitching that they were damaged. I am also sure that there are many people that spent "tons" of money, and more, at APE.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
And I bet that if they were "stuffed" into a smaller box and got creased, the buyer would be bitching that they were damaged. I am also sure that there are many people that spent "tons" of money, and more, at APE.
Whatever you say dude

Old 08-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Really? What happened to things like free shipping on orders over a few hundred bucks?.
That freight price sounds about right.

"Free" freight went away when online shopping took off and fuel prices jumped up. Since freight was never "free", the cost of it was built in to the price of the product. Manufacturers were only able to throw it in because the product was inflated. Now, pricing has to be competitive to get an order, so you pay a separate line item for freight. You always paid it before, it's just a line item now.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Whatever you say dude
Good attitude.

So far no one is seeing things your way.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Good attitude.

So far no one is seeing things your way.
Hmm. The OP didn't reject any other input, just yours.