Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 PM

Default FI Tech G- Surge tank v. Tanks.inc EFI tank

Does anyone run one of the new G-Surge Tanks?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hyper...em,328479.html

I'm leaning toward using one of these instead of getting a Tanks.inc EFI tank, in-tank Fuel pump, etc.

Only reason is cost. I think the surge tank will set me back $300 and the EFI tank is closer to $650 when you factor in the new sending unit and pump, etc.

I don't want to be too cheap, but the surge tank seem like a pretty good option.

i'd be using it with an MSD Atomic TB system and my motor is only around 450 HP.

Any advise is appreciated.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Boost Engineer

My EFI system will use a dual tank Surge Tank (Dual Bosch 044 fuel pumps inside) mounted in the space where the Tri-Power Vacuum Tank would go and fed by a 450 liter per hour Tanks inc fuel system. The dual tanks will mount similar to the link provided above.

A solid 1000 hp fuel system (when needed). I have all of the parts currently.
I actually like the surge tank concept. My surge tank is custom fabricated.

Marty Palbykins 1969 Grand Prix had a surge tank fed by a Mechanical Pontiac Fuel Pump which fed his Haltech EFI System in the early 1990s.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	044-FUEL-PUMP surge tank.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	532326  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:09 PM

Thanks Tom. One other question. Where on the car are you planning to mount those?

Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 AM
Boost Engineer

If you are not familiar with the Tri-Power cars, I can help with your question.

Pontiac Vehicles have a Battery tray mounted on the drivers side of the vehicle.
Chevy vehicles have the battery tray mounted on the passenger side.

I have a special mount that would locate in the general area of the Chevrolet battery tray (on the passenger side of the vehicle). The actual location would be closer to the inner fender and frame rail.

I have dual steel fuel lines installed on the vehicle. Pontiac line on one side, Chevelle fuel line on the passenger side. From the 450 Liter/hr in take fuel pump, the fuel goes to the passenger side fuel line and then to the surge tank. Custom Surge Tanks in my case.

The "Surge Tanks "overflow/fuel return line" is now the normal Pontiac Fuel Line which goes back to the Tanks, inc fuel tank.

The Bosch 044 Fuel Pumps take fuel from the Surge Tanks and are used to feed the fuel rails of the EFI system. A return regulator returns fuel to the Surge Tanks.

The only difference in the drawing is: I am using a internal 450 L/Hr fuel pump in the Tanks Inc fuel tank to feed the surge tank vs the EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP (#2) shown in the fuel schematic I have provided. The Bosch 044 fuel pumps are also not external but mounted inside the special surge tanks and cooled by the fuel.
Click on drawing for full size image

Tom V.

I made my own dual surge tanks (the photo attached is a very crude example (from the web) of the tank design I built from material I had). My dual tanks hold the Bosch 044 pumps and have 4 liters of fuel capability. (The fuel pumps #5 on the drawing are inside my surge tanks)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Surge Tank Fuel line Plumbing.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	532498   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge-fuel-tank-obp-motorsport-capacity-2l.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	532499  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 02-20-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM
Boost Engineer

This is how my fuel pumps are mounted in my custom Surge Tanks.

Like I said, my surge tanks mount where the old Tri-Power Vacuum Tank used to mount in the 1964-1966 Tri-Power GTOs.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FP34.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	532500