Old 07-04-2020, 10:34 PM

1st week of April build, Pontiac, 3.90 rear, 4spd, HD radiator per PHS docs and the radiator has the plugs.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had 65 Lemans 326 4 speed no plugs.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 AM

The 65 tripower 4-sp 3:90 car I had, had the plugs in rad. Dont know for sure but most likely a Ohio built car.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 AM

Default 1965 Radiator

My 1965 GTO built in Kansas December 18, 1964. 389 Cid, four barrel, manual 4 speed transmission, no p/s, no p/b, no a/c, petcock on driver side, radiator hoses on passenger side. No threaded holes or caps on lower tank of radiator.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Boost Engineer

I was told that Kansas City was a Chevrolet plant that built some Pontiac vehicles.
I was told that by a couple of Pontiac Plant Experts. Probably got the actual statement wrong. I personally do not know anything about Pontiac Vehicles Plant Histories.

I do know that KC did things differently vs Pontiac Michigan.

So GTO68, your post tells me that my April 1964 GTO with no plugs in the lower radiator tank (Manual Trans, Power Steering, No A/C, was still using "No Plug" Lower tanks until at least December 18, on vehicles they built.

Thanks for the info.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, you might want to check my long post, your '64 got a Tall Rad.

And if it got a "no plugs" Man Trans specific Rad that was luck of the draw at KC in April '64. Check your Shipping Order doc for the Trans Code against the '64 codes I listed in my post. Presumably your Rad will match to the Code 159 (Code 59 on your doc) for the 2-5/8" thick Tall Rad without Oil Cooler.

Back then, the Car Divs controlled the Final plants and Fisher Body controlled the Body Plants, before the subsequent creation of the integrated GMAD to take on that role as the Car Divs became less autonomous car manufacturers and devolved to sales and marketing companies. So Tom, you are correct, the Kansas City A body Plant along with the Baltimore A body Plant were controlled by Chevy. Fremont was a BOP Plant and PMD alone controlled the Pontiac Plant. Rad codes are only shown on the '64 PHS docs for the KC and Balt Plants.

But other April or later KC builds like yours will show Code 58, the 2-5/8" thick tall Rad with Oil Cooler even with the Man Trans. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it other than Rad availability.

'65 usage was very different as I outlined.

No A body Final Assembly Plant in Ohio for '64/'65. None in Kansas either. There was a big car Final Plant in Kansas City, Kansas but the A body was built at Kansas City, Missouri. Just wanted to avoid any confusion about radiator usage based on where the cars were built.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Boost Engineer

2-5/8" THICK TALL RADIATOR CODE 59 and if you remember which I am sure you do, I had the 3.90 rear axle ratio with metallic brakes. (No Power).

As I posted no plugs for a cooler.

Thanks for all of the help over the years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurrell View Post
1st week of April build, Pontiac, 3.90 rear, 4spd, HD radiator per PHS docs and the radiator has the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
I had 65 Lemans 326 4 speed no plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
The 65 tripower 4-sp 3:90 car I had, had the plugs in rad. Dont know for sure but most likely a Ohio built car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO 68 View Post
My 1965 GTO built in Kansas December 18, 1964. 389 Cid, four barrel, manual 4 speed transmission, no p/s, no p/b, no a/c, petcock on driver side, radiator hoses on passenger side. No threaded holes or caps on lower tank of radiator.
These are all consistent with the charts posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
A bodies were built in Pontiac Michigan, Baltimore MD, Fremont CA and Kansas City MO.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checked my late April 1965 Fremont built tripower 4 speed GTO that has the original Harrison 4 row radiator. It has the trans plugs in the bottom tank. They are slot-head and mount flush with the tank.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tag Id

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk