Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

Good luck Charlie!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Build your plenum so you can easily add more. I stated 1.5 x engine displacement...I'd start there.as a minimum. Test and add space and see what it does for you. Pypemax runner length factors the distance from valve center to manifold face.
Bruce, can you tell me how to figure out and calculate intake runner area? Im trying to fill out this calculator over here... http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/runnertorquecalc.html

Thanks.

I couldn't find the pypemax site..

Old 05-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedbird View Post
I would have loved to seen that! I like the new Vettes, but most of them guys are really cocky! After the track last night my buddie with the turboed LS Mustang put 3 lengths on a new nitrous Vette that money races around here. That guy has a mouth on him. It was great to see him get smacked on his own road! Sorry! Back to plenums!
That's why when im out I don't say anything. I just smile and say lets go.. Believe or not I haven't lost any roll races yet, and I've raced a lot of cars so far with this lill 4 banger... lol

I did not meet this guy but im sure he was cocky, the good part that I will never see is im sure his friends were all busting on him later on! lol. I bet they will be looking for me next time out...

I bet you and your friend were laughen your azzes of after he smoked that loud mouth guy.. . haha

Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Good luck Charlie!
Thank you sir.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
That's why when im out I don't say anything. I just smile and say lets go.. Believe or not I haven't lost any roll races yet, and I've raced a lot of cars so far with this lill 4 banger... lol

I did not meet this guy but im sure he was cocky, the good part that I will never see is im sure his friends were all busting on him later on! lol. I bet they will be looking for me next time out...

I bet you and your friend were laughen your azzes of after he smoked that loud mouth guy.. . haha
Noone but his friends can stand the guy! His name is Waffles, so now he's pancakes, hotcakes, Ihop....Lol!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Noone but his friends can stand the guy! His name is Waffles, so now he's pancakes, hotcakes, Ihop....Lol!
Now when talks shi$%#t you can just call him a loser to his face and laugh at him ... That will most likely turn him red .. hahaha

Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PipeMax

Hopefully Larry's new version will be out.
Supposed to be greatly improved and also power adder ability.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can someone tell me if im doing this right.. Im trying to calculate my optimum runner size for my peak toque rpm. I measured my intake gasket height and width 2.335h 1.200 w. x"s it by 2 and came up with 2.802 . My dyno sheet says I made peak torque at 5750 RPM. This calculator says my optimum runner intake area should be 3.22. Im only at 2.80. Am I doing this right? Heres the link.... http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/runnertorquecalc.html

Thanks

Old 05-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you are doing it right.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Yes, you are doing it right.

thank you.

what do you think of these links ?

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...%20Length.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

http://www.musclecardiy.com/performa...mance-engines/

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ake-manifolds/

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...culations.html

Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

See how the runners are cantilevering into the plenum? Is this a better idea then having them flush?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sjghghghg.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	429535  

Old 05-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Can someone tell me if im doing this right.. Im trying to calculate my optimum runner size for my peak toque rpm. I measured my intake gasket height and width 2.335h 1.200 w. x"s it by 2 and came up with 2.802 . My dyno sheet says I made peak torque at 5750 RPM. This calculator says my optimum runner intake area should be 3.22. Im only at 2.80. Am I doing this right? Heres the link.... http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/runnertorquecalc.html

Thanks
1.3" wide x 2.45 gets you 3.185" area. Basically .100" wider and .100" taller.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a dual quad Offy manifold for my combo,grinding out the runner dividing walls to make one big manifold plenum-similar to a blower manifold. My carb box/hat/plenum is also pretty big(not as big as I would have liked it but it had to fit under the hood) so that the velocity of the air going into the box is slowed down and converted to pressure over the carb inlets. Driveabilty is good ,as is fuel distribution, but footbrake launching is tricky with the big plenum and a tight converter.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
I used a dual quad Offy manifold for my combo,grinding out the runner dividing walls to make one big manifold plenum-similar to a blower manifold. My carb box/hat/plenum is also pretty big(not as big as I would have liked it but it had to fit under the hood) so that the velocity of the air going into the box is slowed down and converted to pressure over the carb inlets. Driveabilty is good ,as is fuel distribution, but footbrake launching is tricky with the big plenum and a tight converter.
Do you have a photo??

Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Boost Engineer

I spoke with Marty Palbykin for about an hour yesterday and he said that the original Pontiac 406 cid Intake with the large volume was boxed and stored away and would be very hard to locate, open the box, take pictures, post pictures, etc.... So it is not going to happen.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Is it a 2 plain?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanx for trying Tom.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a question for everyone In regards to whether or not my plenum is too small. When im on the break tying to build boost , what happens is the needle on the gage shakes really bad. It moves back and forth from 1 to 6 psi until it gets to 10 psi where it goes dead steady all the up from there. My question is , is it that the plenum doesn't have enough area for the air , so as the pulsations from each valve closing pushing back to the next valve pushing back is shocking and disturbing the small area of air in the plenum where if it was larger it would have more cushion with less disruption , almost like tossing a rock in a small body of water and having more disturbance then it would in a big body of water.

My friend has a 2JZ motor running the same amount of boost and his needled is steady from 1 psi all the way up. He has a plenum that is 1.5 the size of his ci. Mine is around .75 of my cubes.. So what do you think?

Last edited by charlie66; 06-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Single plane manifold with a big open runner between the carb plenums. Before and after pics. Carb hat/box halfway through construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Offy manifold modified.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	429974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Offy manifold.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	429975   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb box pics 015.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	429978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head pics,nick bike,intercoolers. 008.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	429979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head pics,nick bike,intercoolers. 012.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	429980  

Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
I have a question for everyone In regards to whether or not my plenum is too small. When im on the break tying to build boost , what happens is the needle on the gage shakes really bad. It moves back and forth from 1 to 6 psi until it gets to 10 psi where it goes dead steady all the up from there. My question is , is it that the plenum doesn't have enough area for the air , so as the pulsations from each valve closing pushing back to the next valve pushing back is shocking and disturbing the small area of air in the plenum where if it was larger it would have more cushion with less disruption , almost like tossing a rock in a small body of water and having more disturbance then it would in a big body of water.

My friend has a 2JZ motor running the same amount of boost and his needled is steady from 1 psi all the way up. He has a plenum that is 1.5 the size of his ci. Mine is around .75 of my cubes.. So what do you think?
A bigger volume will dampen the pulsations for sure. Was the engine doing the same thing before you went to the bigger turbo?

Tom V.