Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Are Summit Lifters any good?

How are the Summit Lifters holding up?
I have a set that I going run on a Summit cam, but I stepped up to a Voodoo 703 for a 10.75:1 400.
They've been cleaned and all looked good...

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Too many soft lifters around these days. I wouldn't unless it is a super gentle low lift "stock" grind cam. 703 is a fast-ramp cam. You might get lucky. But if you don't you will spend more than if you just bought some Howards or HiLift Johnsons

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"... Howards or HiLift Johnsons..."

So, who makes Howards lifters ? There has been LOTS of talk here about what lifters are sold by the different cam companies. Some claimed that certain big name cam companies sold H-J lifters. Then somebody else said they were told by somebody at H-J that they didn't sell lifters to any cam company.

I asked at Summit, & the guy said he didn't know. I ask him if he could take one out of the box & give me the details. That just made him mad, so he said you get whatever is in the box, and I don't know who made 'em or where they were made.

So, I called Jegs. At least that guy assured me that their Jegs lifters were made in the USA. According to what I've read, there are only 2 companies that make Pontiac HFT lifters in the USA. HJ is one, Delphi is the other.

Delphi supposedly supplies the lifters GM sells as ACDelco lifters. They are easy to ID, because of the groove near the bottom. They have a foot, which is made of harder material.

"...GM's lifter foot and body are made from dissimilar materials joined by proprietary processes. Identify them by a distinct parting line or discoloration near the bottom of the lifter body..."

For a long time, Paul Spotts advertised the Delphi lifters he sold thru his Ebay store to be the best. Said he'd used 'em for years without any problems. But, not too long ago, those lifters were no longer on his Ebay store.

Here's what the Delphi lifters in the Jegs box I got look like. I swapped in real snap rings in place of the wire paperclip retainers, which most lifters have.

But, most here always recommend H-J "R" lifters, which you can buy from member Paul Knippen.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulKnippensMuscleMotors/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USA Made .JPG
Views:	251
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	528023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jegs Delphi Lifter .jpg
Views:	387
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	528024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap Ring ID .JPG
Views:	281
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	528025   Click image for larger version

Name:	4x4 .JPG
Views:	280
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	528026  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-02-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

Do not reuse flat hyd lifters period.
I am going to use hi lift J lifters on my 703 or 704.
But, on a 2802 I bought the kit with lifters, they have held up 3 years and bout 3-4K miles, with no problems on rotella!

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Boost Engineer

I still have about 10 sets of the (now NOS) but new H-J Lifters on the shelf.

Willing to part with some of them for a fair price. INFO ONLY.
If there is a few requests I will list them in the Parts for Sale section.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the short version of the long story concerning Hylift Johnson:

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-..._muskegon.html

Folks often confuse them with Johnson:

https://johnsonlifters.com/

Two completely different companies......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My bad... I have the Voodoo 702 cam. NOT the 703.
The Summit brand doesn't have a groove at the bottom, so not Delphi.

Summit site says they are made in the USA.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017

Last edited by Speargun; 01-02-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Here's the short version of the long story concerning Hylift Johnson:

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-..._muskegon.html

Folks often confuse them with Johnson:

https://johnsonlifters.com/

Two completely different companies......Cliff
Hylift-Johnson located in Muskegon, Michigan had a very large production facility at one point in time, and has been there for many years. Great quality, but thieves destroyed their company over the years.

The other Johnson, that does Roller lifters is located in the rear of Cut-All Waterjet,inc on Northline road
in the downriver area of Detroit. Same address 25940 Northline Road, Taylor Michigan.
Maybe renting space from the Cut-All Waterjet Company. Obviously a very small production facility.
May actually have about the same number of people working on lifters as Hylift Johnson today.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECAsQBg

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Summit lifters quite a bit on my stuff. I really haven't had any bad luck with them. They break in easy, are quiet and so far have seemed to last. I'm sure Johnson's are the highest quality though.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Summit doesn't make lifters. There's no guarantee that they're buying from the same company that they did last month, or three years ago, or twenty-five years ago, which is when I bought my (Chevy) lifters from them. What can I say? Those ancient lifters have worked just fine for me. But that doesn't really mean anything.

2. For whatever difference it makes, this is what Lunati was selling ten years ago. I don't know who supplied them.

Compared to the lifters pictured in the first post, these have a stamped, "ribbed" metering valve instead of a flat disc, and the ball-style check valve. The other photo doesn't show the check valve, (some lifters use a ball, some use a "disc") but you can see the "hardened" foot of the Delphi lifter (barely).

Old 01-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s not a Pontiac but I will say that I went through 2 sets of Lunati lifters on a 440 mopar last year. It was very frustrating and expensive. I got a set of Johnson lifters on the 3rd try and it worked out good finally.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a pic of Delphi Chevy lifters, in which you can see a close-up of the "foot".

I assume they don't come apart, since they've been makin 'em that way for a long time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-D...-/372413114207

Looks like Delphi & Eaton have merged maybe. I've read that Delphi lifters were made in USA, & Eaton lifters were made in Mexico.

But, as mentioned, things change quickly in the HFT lifters business.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Senior Chief

I also had a lunati lifter go bad.

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455rebel View Post
I also had a lunati lifter go bad.
I lost an engine with Lunati hft cam in the 90's. It had 130# seat pressure. 330# ? Over the nose ?. It went 25k miles.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Paul K!

I bought a set of lifters from Paul K and could not be happier. I had a ticker from Comp that no amount of adjustment would quiet. Swapped in / broke in the lifters from Paul and the valvetrain is now rock solid and dead silent. I only wish I would have gone that route in the first place.