THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry Why don't sellers answer?

It's happened again. I'm seriously interested in a car on Craig's List but when I try to contact the seller NO ANSWER. This has happened several times when I've tried to buy stuff on line. It doesn't matter whether it's Craig's list, Smoke Signals, Ebay or even here. If you want to sell something why don't you answer? If it's sold take it off the site. I haven't tried to low ball anyone. In fact I didn't make an offer just asked a couple of questions. This last car is just the make and year I want. It appears to be built the way I want. And, It is located within driving distance so I wouldn't have to have it shipped. I really am a serious buyer but NO ANSWER.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could just collecting ph#'s or email addresses.

TOM
Old 12-19-2019, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How long has it been since you sent them a message?

It's possible the car is already sold, but even then it would be good form to let people know that.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:45 AM
Senior Chief

I have an observation from the sellers perspective. These days there are so many scammers out there I will never use certain sites again. I listed a car for sale and within 24 hours I had 5 responses that were identical except for names. I knew it was a scam but just for kicks I "engaged" one. Sent me several emails he was making shipping arrangements and we had not even spoke on the phone or discussed the terms. So I asked him for his phone number so we could talk over the details. Never heard from him again.

My point is with so much BS going on I am not surprised some just give up to avoid the hassle. I think that is why auctions are becoming more popular. The people bidding are there to buy and qualified to bid. You skip the dreamers and scammers.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Because sellers are tired of tire kicking jackasses which waste said sellers valuable time.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe you have a suspect email address and your emails are getting snagged by spam filters.

Don

Old 12-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe he doesn’t like you.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Maybe you have a suspect email address and your emails are getting snagged by spam filters.

Don

^^^^ This! A lot of times craigslist replies go to the spam folder. I inquired about a fireplace insert once. I must have replied to the add 4 times over the course of a month. Finally the guy got back with me and said he never got any of my previous inquires. Another thing I do is put a recent local sports score or weather report in with my reply to let the seller know I'm a real person.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I ever sell anything I try to include what I consider a lot of pictures. It never fails that someone will want "more pictures." I hardly ever reply to those questions if I have already included a lot of pictures. Also, if someone asks what's the "least I would take" without actually being there in person, I won't answer that question either since I clearly have my price marked. Normally, if I'm serious about a car, I won't ask the seller any questions other than an address to go look at the car. I've never had one ignore me if I ask that question.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are tired of people bothering you why put the add on line? I asked if the car was still available to view. It is winter here and I realize that some people put their cars away for the winter and can't get to them. I also asked if the AC worked. I don't think my questions were out of line. Like I said the car was within driving distance (a couple of hours) and I didn't need shipping. I'm willing to drive it home any time the roads are clear. It's hard to find just the right car close to home. My last 2 cars had to be shipped which was a real pain.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't answer people who ask "is it still available?" I even write it right up front in my ad - "if you see this ad, it's still for sale. Ad will be removed immediately when it sells."

Even with that clearly stated in the ad, I still get a lot of people who all they ask is "is it still available?" and nothing more. Those people are either scammers or idiots and I ignore them.

If someone had asked me if the AC works I'd respond to that. It's a real question that's actually relevant, and maybe I didn't put that info in my ad.

When I sold my truck I had this guy write me this email about how my truck was exactly what he'd been looking for and he'd always wanted one of them and he just needed to figure out how to get it back to his house and he was going to come and get it that weekend, yadda yadda yadda. I replied and told him great, get in touch with me when the weekend rolls around and we'll make it happen. Never heard from him again after that.

The world is full of flakes and a-holes. There's really no explaining it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It can be worse on FB, I had my 22 yr old daughter inquire about some riding gear & motocross parts (I’m not on FB) and instead she had men hitting on her and even got a couple of dic pics.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Of all the things I sold on CL, I’ve never got a nude pic from some girl, not even a tit pic.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-20-2019, 11:22 AM

I know from buying parts, sometimes the parts or cars for sale are not at the sellers residence and it takes a few days for them to reply. Also it is the holidays people are very busy, I always give a person a second chance, after that 3 strikes they’re out and I move on and look elsewhere. No time for games.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People are terrible at selling stuff. Incomplete descriptions, bad pictures, non responsive. Ive never understood it.

When I sell something I think of the questions I would ask and try to head over everything in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-21-2019, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't ask if it "WAS STILL AVAILABLE"! I asked if I could see it!!!! Big difference. Wouldn't you want to see the car if it was close to home? Besides I'm not an idiot and he never stated in his add that he would remove it as soon as it was sold. Again I asked to see it not if it was available. A lot of people don't remove their add right away. This person was asking a lot of money for the car. More than I ever paid for an old car. I think it's only fair I get to see it.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jesus dude, relax. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of idiots and scammers that sellers have to deal with. Who knows why he doesn't answer you? Maybe he's a complete moron. Maybe his wife told him he has to sell that old junk car so he put up the ad just to please her and now he's ignoring any replies so he can tell her no one's interested. One thing's for sure, getting worked up about a car you've never seen and can't be sure even exists and is actually for sale isn't doing your health any good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Default reply

why don't they include a phone number ?

Old 12-22-2019, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they don't want to be bothered by calls. When I sold my 1955 last summer I got 29 calls in an hour and a half. I'll wait until after New Years and if it's still there I'll try one last time.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand the frustrations of a serious buyer. When I contact someone I'm always serious and no desire to waste anyone's time. That said, last year, for the first time in many years, I decided to sell a car....a really nice, jet stream blue, C6 Corvette I've owned for 5 years. Put it on Craig's list, the Corvette forum and a facebook forum. About any detail one could think of was covered in the ad. The non-stop crap I was put through by "potential" buyers, dealers and scammers got so bad I decided I'd rather keep the car than go through this.