Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default cam retainer

in screaming sheifs pic here, is this side on the top the side that goes towards the cam? thanks.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,that is the block (cam) side.

That hole/slot connects to the front cam bearing journal area and that is supposed to lube the timing chain.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And the slot is on the lower portion when installed correctly. The one pictured has quite a bit of wear, and I usually replace them when they reach that point. The plate is flat when new, and the thickness of the plate determines fore/aft movement of the cam gear. Thinner plate means more movement - and that means quicker timing chain wear.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

hmm. ok, i guess i need to check for i think .007 end play then? hate to spend $20 on a small piece of anything. well, almost anything thanks sc and L4s

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And boy, does that slot dump a lot of oil on the t-chain!

Agree with L4S, that plate is worn out and should be replaced.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
hate to spend $20 on a small piece of anything. well, almost anything
lol

Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
And boy, does that slot dump a lot of oil on the t-chain!

Agree with L4S, that plate is worn out and should be replaced.
Dittos. I've thrown away better looking ones. Considering how important its job is, $20 for a new cam thrust plate is CHEAP insurance.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know it sure looks like that plate was machined like that. If the cam did that then it must have had the carbide tip option. If you get less than. 003 " end play then you need to make the plate thinner to gain the clearance. Or machine it like that might be another way to do it. 1st for me :/

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmachota78 View Post
Ya know it sure looks like that plate was machined like that. If the cam did that then it must have had the carbide tip option. If you get less than. 003 " end play then you need to make the plate thinner to gain the clearance. Or machine it like that might be another way to do it. 1st for me :/

On my first build, The kid that put the timing chain on used a hammer and put a bur on the timing sprocket which caused it to sit out to far which set the end play at around .050. It beat the camtrust plate like that in the photo in less than 100 miles.

Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

got a pm offering one up for $10 i guess i need one.the edges of mine were rough, almost beat up, so i filed them. ended up smoothing the top so there is no edge. dont think there was one there before anyway. then put on flat surface with 200 grit. it doesnt seem like it sat flat as there in no lip on top and just barely any on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam retainer.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	398065