Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RamAir Manifold Gasket / Bolt ?

Next project.....

The RamAir manifolds that I installed 15+ years ago have sprung a leak on the passenger side....

Are the FelPro MS 9499 SH still the preferred gasket for this application ( 67 GTO)?

Will also want a fresh set of bolts..... Our host sells a kit with the 9 bolts and retainers ...... Does NOT state that they are grade 8 bolts..... would like opinions if this kit is the way to go...... Part # N179NS , or is there a better bolt kit out there?

Thanks

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stainless bolts, and coat them with Neverseize. The stainless bolts won't corrode and are probably about a grade 5 bolt. I wouldn't use grade 8 bolts as they tend to get brittle in a high heat application and can just snap off after a while.

The retainers/locks can stop the bolts from loosening during the heat cycles expansion and contraction.

The steel shim gasket such as the factory used is pretty durable until the bolts loosen, then they develop leaks. I would check the mating surface with a straightedge to insure the manifolds are flat, they can be surfaced if they aren't flat.

If you want to add some insurance against future leaks coating the steel gaskets with high temp RTV will add some extra sealing ability. Apply the RTV and let it skin over for 20-30 minutes before assembly.

Have fun...………..

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated