Old 09-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I have in my 73 GTO 2 rear speaker now , but originally it was 1 front 1 rear. I have a later model AM/FM stereo now that doesn't use the convector.
I don't know what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
When I turn it up it starts to distort at a little less then half volume. What can I do to increase the volume as running down the road with the windows down I can just barely hear it . They are just some cheap speaker from I think walmart but the ones that came with it which were the small 5" sound very good in my other car. Is it the radio or ??? Any help would be appreciated.
I am not an audio expert by any means, but if the electrical signal (the audio) is actually distorting, it's probably 'clipping' meaning that it's probably intrinsic to the amp design...

The cheap speaker may also be contributing to your undesirable experience.

...basically, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if cars are anything like home stereo i have to agree with the above. cheap speakers as well as low wattage. i would get good speakers first and see what happens. if you need to keep that stereo get a cheap little amp at least 40W per channel. more enough believe me.

btw i got the speaker idea from the camaro site www.nastyz28.com and the pics are about 8 years old by now. so they may not even make that speaker number anymore, it could be outdated.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Suspended

I really don't know what the convector does but on all of the radios that have the A/M stereo 8-track tape player. It is located on my car up above the glove box & has 5 wires coming from it that plugs into the back of the radio. I think it is on all the radios that have the 8 track player.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Try a search in the 68-69 tech, This topic has been gone over many times.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 69 GTO and I'm installing a non-stereo am/fm that has to be used with 8-10 ohm speaker. If I'm following this correctly I can use two 4 ohm speakers hooked up in series or two 8 ohm if I use a fader switch. Is that right? If so can I use a fader from a Chevelle? They are more available that Pontiac ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fader.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	438392  

Old 10-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fader switch

Frank R-

If the picture you posted is a switch from the Chevelle I would think it would work, as it looks exactly like the fader switch out of my 69 GTO. I don't know this for sure, but if you already have it, I would try it out and see. I don't think it would hurt anything, it should either work or not.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

I did pickup the correct switch for my 69. I need to know the correct ohm speakers to use for my am/fm. It's rated for 8-10 ohm and if they should be wired in series or parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35012073599200.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	438502  

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank & the group:

The speaker needs to have an 8 or 10 ohm 'rating'...refer to my post #17 above.

If you don't have speakers, you can get them from SM Electro-Tech (http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm) - tell them that the RediRad Guys sent you.

If you DO have speakers but they're crusty, you can have them re-coned for similar money.

Good luck with it!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Frank & the group:

The speaker needs to have an 8 or 10 ohm 'rating'...refer to my post #17 above.

If you don't have speakers, you can get them from SM Electro-Tech (http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm) - tell them that the RediRad Guys sent you.

If you DO have speakers but they're crusty, you can have them re-coned for similar money.

Good luck with it!
Thanks for the reply. I looked at their site and it looks they have nice products at fair prices.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:53 PM

So if I want to connect a 1971 factory radio expecting 8 ohms to a newer amplifier connected to 4 ohm speakers, can I splice in a four ohm resistor in series to get the nominally correct resistance? And that’s avoid frying my old radio.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 PM

So if I want to connect a 1971 factory radio expecting 8 ohms to a newer amplifier connected to 4 ohm speakers, can I splice in a four ohm resistor in series to get the nominally correct resistance? And that’s avoid frying my old radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
You are correct, DC resistance and impedance are not the same thing. When they say a speaker has say 4 ohms impedance, that is at a specific frequency, say 1,000 Hz. At 100 Hz it could be 20 ohms, or 2 ohms for that matter. What the Delco mono radios care about more than anything is the DC resistance of the speaker. But in general, lower impedance speakers have lower DC resistance.

The older Delco radios are DC coupled, and put out 1.5 volts DC to the speaker, even with no volume (assuming they are aligned correctly) so if you put a 4 ohm speaker, that is only 1.5 ohms DC on it, you have 1 amp of current flowing through it. That forces the amp in the radio to dissipate 13 watts or so without making any sound. It the bias is high the power goes up and the radio cooks itself.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Does anyone know where to get impedance matching transformer to take four ohm impedance amp to 8 ohms impedance?

Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can put 2 4 ohm speakers in series.....just decide on placement.

You can also add a 4 ohm resistor in series....the resistor will dissipate the same power as the speaker tho.

George

Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Salem View Post
Does your amp use the radio's speaker output as input?